Adopted a tiny neglected Russian...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Found this little girl on Craigslist. She is 6 years old, just 3" SCL. I got her nails trimmed, they were curled around. Now we need to work on the beak. We are going to the vets today, but sadly, not a reptile vet. My vets are wonderful, though, and I have great faith in them! Nearest reptile vet is over an hour away. :(
What do you all think about her beak?? I amnow feeding her on a piece of slate, any other suggestions? She will only eat romaine right now, we are certainly going to change that! I'm not sure she what she CAN eat with that beaker! Her previous owner said she won't eat carrots, I wonder if she CAN'T eat some things.
She has a great home now, we love her already!!

Pixiebeak.jpg

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Oh my heart goes out to little ones like that. Good job for the rescue. As for the beak, we have one that is a bit long and feeding tougher foods like cactus helps. Some support cuttle bones, but some keepers don't. Others will give you advice about the beak. But congrats on your new one. Great save!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Thank Goodness that you were there to rescue this lil' cutie! Unfortunately, I dunno anything about how to trim down a beak, but I'm sure Yvonne, Robyn, Danny or a slew of others may have some advice for you.

One thing you can do to add veggies is to use a cheese grater; for example, you can shred carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, etc... perhaps try just sprinkling a bit on and then tossing her romaine {it may help disguise it, if she is picky}

My heart goes out to you both ~
Bestest wishes!!
Purpod

YuriTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Your new baby is adorable - I can see why you are in love!

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
Major Congrats to you!! A true tortoise lover.
Im not too sure about how to get the beak worn/trimmed down. But I'll tell you how I've delt with it. I adopted an adult male Russian (Beeker), from Craigslist, with an over grown beak, not as bad as your girls, but pretty bad. I worried about how to deal with it. After about a year of living outside and having a good diet full of fiber and calcium, his beak is about half the size. I'm a strong believer in proper diet and access to PLENTY of sunshine. The beak seems to have worn down on its own. Beeker has always been happy and healthy. Maybe an hour drive is worth it for a good, tortoise vet. If they know torts, that would be great. I think your little one will be fine with good food and sun!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Torts beaks can be trimmed similar to trimming nails. The vet uses a dremel. It take only a minute or two and it will be much better, easier for her to eat and still be in need of a little warring as you don't want to take too, much off. I definitely suggest a qualified reptile vet do this procedure. But ask them to show you how to do it, though it is relatively simple to do, it can be stressful to both the tort and you the first few times you perform the procedure. Once the beak is corrected just keep feeding on slate or a bit of flat rock or concrete.

tasena

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great save she is so cute. I am so glad she has a new home and a better life, she is a lucky tort:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
How sad is that? I'm sure she will be great now that you have her. Try putting some cuttle bone in her enclosure. Maybe that will help with the beak issue.

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, she got her beak trimmed and did fine with it. Certainly not back to normal, but better. I'll have to get some new pics. I put a cuttlebone in the day I brought her home, but she has ignored it so far. She is eating well, though. She likes dandelion, romaine, endive, zucchini, etc. I am hopeful that she will do just fine.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Xllnt news, Lil'Gray ~ well done & keep up the good work!

Purpod ;)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Very cute little one, I am glad her beak has gotten trimmed. I must say though an hour drive is worth it for a good reptile vet. I drive and hour to an hour and 15 minutes to get to mine, and I have other options closer but my vet is good. Keep up the good diet and hopefully she will start growing.

Brownie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I had the same experience as Sushisurf. We adopted a pair that had been a classroom indoor exhibit. Both had deformed nails and parrot-like beaks. From an indoor plastic box with a light, to a full backyard of natural sun and natural grazing and constant exploring, our two Russians have returned to perfect physical health in a year's time. You could never tell they had a problem.

Brownie

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
LIttleGreys, I am glad to hear your little RT is doing fine. I am sure she will do great in your loving hands.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Any updated pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.