Adding New Tortoises to family

Titan24

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
In the NJ area , looking to add new juvenile tortoises to the family - Russian tortoises or Ibera tortoises thinking about… can anyone point me in the right direction. Websites, farms in the Jersey area that take good care of them and ship?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Both of those are great choices. I think there is some weird law about selling tortoises within the state of NJ and you might have to buy out of state to be legal. I'm sorry that I don't know the details, but do check into this to make sure you don't get into any trouble.

For an out of state Russian check with @Carol S or @HoosierTort . For several types of greeks, hermanni, or Russians, check with @TylerStewart at tortoisesupply.com. All of these breeders are not in Jersey and I think its legal for you to buy from them. All of them are fantastic good people who will sell you a healthy baby. Tyler will likely know the details about the NJ laws of which I'm speaking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also do not get two thinking you can house them together. Tortoises can not be housed in pairs and species never mixed.
Also tortoises can not be sexed until around 5 years or older. So if you buy a small group, you may have to house them all separately as males can not be housed with other males.
Getting one is your best bet unless you have the room to house each one in a 4x8 foot minimum enclosure as adults.