Adding a hatchling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Clemente, California
Hi,

We currently have one, two-year old SL Star. Would it be problematic to add one SL or Indian Star to the same enclosure? I have read that multiple Stars can be housed together , but wanted feedback from other owners. My main concern is the age difference and the possibility of the older Star picking on the hatchling. It's hard to imagine as our Star is so kick-back, but I know that could change the minute we add a newbie.

Thanks!
:tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My main concern is the age difference and the possibility of the older Star picking on the hatchling. It's hard to imagine as our Star is so kick-back, but I know that could change the minute we add a newbie.

Sounds as though you do know what some of the concerns would be :D...I also would suggest at least a 6 month quarantine before even allowing them to be with each other sharing the same foot space....:D

Dagashi

5 Year Member
our same age stars which hatched together still pick fights with each other. They push each other out of the hides. Climb over each other and bite each other (where they start stealing each other's foods). U might need to keep a close eye on them when introduced (after a quarantine period). and be prepared to let them live separately if it doensn't go well.

Alternatively you could ship the hatchling to me!! hehehe :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Stars can be just as aggressive as any other type of tortoise. If there is a considerable size difference, you might run into some issues. It would be a good idea to house them separately. But, if you have a lot of space in their enclosure and several good hiding spots, you might be able to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.