Acadia Introduction!

Acadia

Hello! My name is Anna and I recently acquired two red footed tortoises! The one in my profile picture is Acadia and I have another names Crush. Crush is about 16 months old and Acadia is 14 months. I joined this forum because I love talking about my torts and I'm a first time reptile owner, so I will probably have some questions down the road!

Attachments

• crush.jpg
    crush.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 10

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisle Illinois
Congratulations on your two young red foots. My advise is get them into a closed enclosure asap because they are already starting to pyramid. Your enclosure should have a overall constant 80F temperature, UVB basking area of 100F, constant humidity 90-100%, this will prevent pyramiding which is when their scutes raise in a deformed looking way and is not as prized as a tortoise with a bowling ball looking shell (carapace), give them cuttle bones, use UVB and UVA lights at proper distance, variety of foods like kale, squash, carrot, mushroom, dandelions, a little mazuri and lettuce, 88F warm water chin level 15-20 minutes a day, substrate use Zilla Jungle Mix mixed with coco fiber wet down and pack smooth, make sure you first freeze it for 24 hours to kill insect eggs, mites and moths etc.
Search Tom's threads for more details.

What you put into them is what you will get out, think of how happy their next owners will be that you raised them to be healthy and great looking carapaces because after all they might have many more owners down the line because they can live 50-80 years and some older.

Good luck with them, they are beautiful.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Anna! Besides the advice given to you by TortoiseWorld, we have some very good info about the RF tortoises at the
Tortoise Library