Above-tank basking areas, esp DIY

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
What do yall like to use for above-tank basking areas?
I'm planning on using plastic light diffuser tied together with cable ties. I figure I should add soft plastic window screen for him to walk on.
But am open to ideas that others have found useful! :)

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I've seen several of the plastic light diffuser held together areas work. I've really liked the look of the extruded aluminum with acrylic panels on mine. Its a little pricier, but the assembly is dead simple. Its 8020.net parts. It helps that my aquarium has ~1" thick edges rather than the standard framed aquarium edges which are much thinner.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've seen several of the plastic light diffuser held together areas work. I've really liked the look of the extruded aluminum with acrylic panels on mine. Its a little pricier, but the assembly is dead simple. Its 8020.net parts. It helps that my aquarium has ~1" thick edges rather than the standard framed aquarium edges which are much thinner.
Where did you get yours?

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Where did you get yours?
I assembled mine, but the parts I measured the lengths of aluminum we needed and purchased it from 8020.net

The extruded aluminum:

The flat plates:

And then assembly is just screwing it together with the recommended screws.

The 1/8" thick acrylic I just measured the distance needed and called a local plastics company to cut the panels.

I think the total cost for the aluminum and acrylic was like $200.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I assembled mine, but the parts I measured the lengths of aluminum we needed and purchased it from 8020.net

The extruded aluminum:

The flat plates:

And then assembly is just screwing it together with the recommended screws.

The 1/8" thick acrylic I just measured the distance needed and called a local plastics company to cut the panels.

I think the total cost for the aluminum and acrylic was like $200.
Thank you SO MUCH!!!! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Paschendale52- which specific tubing did you use? They’ve got sooooo many…😱

And did you build to set it on TOP of the tank rim, or to sit INSIDE on the rim ledge?

Last edited:

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I like the black 1" square, you can plan it to only have slots on the sides you use, or just get it with the slots all the way around which is what I do. The silver (non-anodized) is a bit cheaper, and looks good. I just like the sleek black look.

I set it on top of the aquarium, but mine don't have those ledges and stuff because they're the plywood/epoxy aquariums so I have a thicker top.