About overall enclosure climate and microclimate

curious guy

Location (City and/or State)
India
I have indian stars. I was reading about the climate and microclimates for their enclosure. I am confused as to what would be good for them. Can anyone help me with that? I would be thankful [emoji1]

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

curious guy

India
Please read this post we have at the top of this section. It should answer your questions. If you have any additional questions after reading it, please ask.

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/
Thanks @Markw84 that was really informative. I have few questions. Do the stars (both the hatchlings and juvenile/adult) burrow down? In my enclosure I have grass mat for them so is it good for them or should I remove the grass?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks @Markw84 that was really informative. I have few questions. Do the stars (both the hatchlings and juvenile/adult) burrow down? In my enclosure I have grass mat for them so is it good for them or should I remove the grass?
I would recommend a natural substrate. Would not recommend an artificial turf at all if that is what you are referring to. I prefer orchid bark. Real grass is great but also areas of a more natural substrate. I have found they do dig in slightly making a scrape or "pallet" to rest in. They definitely prefer pushed under a plant where they have some contact with their carapace. I use boston ferns and large tufts of a carex type grass.

curious guy

India
@Markw84 I have a mat of natural lawn grass. So for them to allow to scrape should I keep grass clippings in the enclosure?