able to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
So, I went to the old store that I worked at today. I called ahead for them to give me the trimmings that they throw away everyday. I got a box FULL off different vegetables. The box contains: red leaf 35%, green leaf 15%, bok choy 20%, kale 15%, butter leaf lettuce 10%, curly cabbage 10%. I know most of it is okay to give. My question is what about the curly cabbage, butter leaf, and the bok choy? Also, is it okay that there is so much red leaf? It seems like the variety may need more red vegetables in it?

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Bok choy no, I'd steer clear of any cabbage, and I'm not sure on the weird lettuce.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Okay, I wasn't sure because its kind of like chard

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Bok choy is fine in small amounts
butter lettuce contains vitamin a and also potassium and calcium
Cabbage ...I would be surprise if he is interested....a small amount would be fine from time to time.
Red leaf lettuce is great
Green leaf? Do you mean iceberg? If yes iceberg no real nutritional value but good source for water content..just not too much to spoil their appetite..:p
Kale is also good as part of a varied diet
:D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Cool! And green leaf lettuce looks like red leaf. But, it is completely green and is thicker. It is nothing like iceberg lettuce. Thank you! I'm glad I did not throw it out, it would have been such a waste. And nicoleandrickey, you should try it at your local grocery store. Everyday, when I worked there, we would throw away vegetables and fruit that could be eaten. It did not look off the truck fresh so probably 1.5 full garbage size cans would be thrown away DAILY.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
The cabbage was the first thing he just went for. There were three pieces so I only let him have the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.