a substrate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I was wondering......is there a substrate that does NOT get dusty if it dries out? I keep substrate damp, but I worry if it dries out before I have a chance to redampen that it will irritate nose/eyes. I'd like to know if there is a substrate that can be kept damp, but will not get dusty if it does happen to dry out.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
If a substrate consists of large pieces, then it's not going to be particularly good at holding moisture. Conversely, if a substrate is going to be good at retaining moisture, then it needs to consist of small particles, which can get dusty if dry. So you see, it's kind of an either-or thing; you can get bigger particles, but then you sacrifice moisture-holding ability.

Having said that, coconut-based substrates come in a variety of sizes. Coconut coir is the most common type, and it is very good at providing a humid microclimate (it's what I use). However, coconut fiber consists of larger strands of material, so it probably would be less dusty. Finally, coconut husks are even bigger pieces. They don't retain moisture quite as well (less surface area), and they are a bit hard for a tortoise to walk on, but they probably have the least amount of dust.

Some people like orchid bark or fir bark. I don't think they hold moisture particularly well, but some folks like them.

Finally, you could try cypress mulch, which consists of woody fibers and not much dust.

Every substrate is going to have some tiny particles that can turn to dust if dry. However, the larger the predominant pieces in substrate, the less dust you're going to find. Just be aware that you might not be satisfied with the humidity level it creates.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks for your response. This substrate issue is frustrating. If I want to keep some areas with some long fibered sphagnum moss to bury in, would that get dusty if it begins to dry out? Or do the mosses not get dusty?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
lisa127 said:
Thanks for your response. This substrate issue is frustrating. If I want to keep some areas with some long fibered sphagnum moss to bury in, would that get dusty if it begins to dry out? Or do the mosses not get dusty?

Mosses can get dusty, too. When dry, the plants can come apart, making for some finer particles. There may be a bit of soil in there, too. Certainly one of the less dusty substrates out there, but I don't think you're going to find anything that is completely dust-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.