Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My tortoise partner sent me this study:

"Diets and food preferences of two South African tortoises Geochelone pardalis and Psammobates oculifer
Rall, M | Fairall, N
South African Journal of Wildlife Research [S. AFR. J. WILDL. RES./S.-AFR. TYDSKR. NATUURNAVORS.]. Vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 63-70. 1993.

The diet and plant species preferences of two sympatric tortoises, the mountain tortoise Geochelone pardalis and serrated tortoise Psammobates oculifer, were studied in the northern Cape Province, South Africa. Owing to the difference in rainfall patterns during the two years of study, differing results were obtained between study periods and between tortoise species. During the dry year both tortoises used the vegetation in relation to its availability; grass was used extensively as were succulents. In the higher rainfall study period a greater variety of ephemerals was available. The mountain tortoise extended its use of available species but continued to use grass; this component disappeared completely from the diet of the serrated tortoise and they concentrated on herbs and succulents. Preference in both species is for succulents and species of the Fabaceae. Tribulus terrestris also featured in both diets in both periods. It is suggested that the patterns shown reflect the climatic affinities of the two species."

Tribulus terrestris is good old puncture vine. And Fabaciae are plants in the legume family like peas and beans. Ephemerals are plants with a short life cycle like spring-time weeds and grasses.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is cool. I've got to bump up the succulents in my tortoises diet a bit. Looks like I'm right on with the grasses though.

We call that puncture weed "Goat head". That stuff is awful! I would love for my tortoises to have a more "natural" diet, but I am drawing a line there. I am NOT introducing that nasty stuff anywhere near my house. If I happen to find some out in the world, I will carefully remove ALL the seed heads and then bring some back for them to eat.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Is there any more to this study Yvonne?

Very similar observations to the Sighting frequency and food habits of the leopard tortoise study. That study had a little bit about puncture vine and how it was a significant part of the leopard tortoise diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I know, huh...the article just leaves you wanting more. No, that's all he sent me.

I get lots of "goat heads" along the front of my property, on the edge of the busy street. From now on, instead of spraying them with Round-up, I guess I'll have to harvest them.

But I thought the pea and bean thing was interesting. "They" have always told us NOT to feed legumes.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
Yeah, I know, huh...the article just leaves you wanting more. No, that's all he sent me.

I get lots of "goat heads" along the front of my property, on the edge of the busy street. From now on, instead of spraying them with Round-up, I guess I'll have to harvest them.

But I thought the pea and bean thing was interesting. "They" have always told us NOT to feed legumes.

Funny, now that I think about it...back in my early days of tortoise-ing I had a male leopard that I could not keep out of my garden. He seemed particularly interested in the peas I had growing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can they eat the whole legume plant? Leaves stems and all? I have some peas and green beans that I've been waiting on planting because I didn't know about the leaves.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
I found this study not very long ago. Don't know if you've seen it, and its very long, but insightful.

Attachments

• AfJEcoPardalis2001-1.pdf
    201.8 KB · Views: 37

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes, that's the one I've referenced above. It's been tossed around the forum a few times, but yes, it has been very insightful.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
Oops! I didn't realize it was the same one. I have a habit of skimming and not always reading completely unless something catches my eye.:(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom said:
Can they eat the whole legume plant? Leaves stems and all? I have some peas and green beans that I've been waiting on planting because I didn't know about the leaves.

Anyone?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Tom said:

Anyone?

Legumes ALL parts of the plant are edible and contain more protein than any other vegetable and thus are akin to animal meat in food value. Fats and carbohydrates are also present. The proteins occur as small granules in the same cells with the starch grains. The high protein content is related to the presence on the roots of many legumes tubercles that hold nitrogen-fixing bacteria. These bacteria are able to convert atmospheric nitrogen into nitrates. This augments the nitrogenous material available for the plants.
The legumes belong to the family Leguminosae, which is noted for having a special kind of fruit, a legume, which is a pod that opens along two sutures when the seeds are ripe. Over 11,000 species of legumes are known, and many are of importance as industrial, medicinal or food plants. They have been cultivated and used for food for centuries worldwide. The seeds are of greatest importance. As is the case with other dry seeds, the low water content and impervious seed coats enhance their value for long-term storage and increase their longevity. Legumes are easy to grow, they mature rapidly and they are highly nutritious. Not only are proteins abundant but also they possess minerals and vitamin B. They are absolutely essential in a vegetarian diet. Before the discovery of potatoes, they constituted a greater part of the food in Europe. Legumes have a high-energy content and are particularly well suited for use in cold weather or where physical exertion is pronounced. The immature fruits also serve as food as demonstrated by garden beans and peas

Because all parts of the plant are rich in protein, legumes are valuable as field and forage crops
http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/botany/legunuts.htm

JD~

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Good info JD. The leopard I mentioned above would eat everything until there was no trace of the plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.