A second one!?

Martin Clarkson

Location (City and/or State)
South Lanarkshire
So I’ve had a Russian tort for almost a week, he’s 1 year old and his name is Panzer. I’m only 14, but I have done my research, and what is common knowledge to me is that you should never keep two tortoises together, because one would start bullying the other. I listened to this and continued research for my tortoise, the. When I got him, my younger sister became instantly jealous, she’s 12. So my little sister decided that she wanted a tortoise! And my parents were going to allow it! I see this as unfair, as I had to sacrifice two birthdays for him and the money to buy him, and my sister was just going to get it like that?! And even worse, she wanted to keep it in the enclosure that I built, and as I said before that’s impossible! I sent my mum countless websites and forum messages to try and change her mind, but she just thinks I’m jealous! I’m worried about this tortoises life, and I need help to try and stop her from getting it, please any suggestions would be very helpful for me, and the tortoises life....

Javk

CA (Bay Area)
Yes, you are absolutely right, sexually mature Russians cannot be kept together. If persuading your parents doesn't work, you might consider building another enclosure for your sister. Maybe using a cheap Tupperware or something. If you think that your sister doesn't deserve this, I agree. However, keep in mind that you are doing this for the tortoise, not your sister. Reading your post, your sister seems like she has no info on torts. If she does get a tort and gives it improper care, this can be a major impact for the tort. We will try to help you as best as possible but it's up to you to save that poor tort's life. I have had been in a similar situation when I was little, it feels horrible seeing that people really don't see tortoises as living breathing creatures but just an animal to entertain their children. So when I was little, the same thing happened but my brother earned his tort. I made him a very nice enclosure but he wanted mine! It was my really expensive custom made 7' 10' enclosure! What I decided to do was sly. I hid the enclosure in my friend's house and told him that I had scrapped it for a project. Then I would pretend that the enclosure I had built for him was a spare enclosure and that I loved it. Then, I would pretend to remember that my brother would be getting his tort soon and "reluctantly give it to him. When his tort comes and settles in the enclosure, I said that my tort has a "special condition" and that the wood had some chemical in it that will kill normal torts. Having n choice, he had to stick with his own enclosure. Of course, moving your tortoise from his old enclosure to a temporary one while you hide the original enclosure is going to be stressful. However, it is better than your sister killing that poor tort. You still have to make sure your sister doesn't do anything to it while shes taking care of it. If you think that's too much work, just either bribe her or negotiate with her. Good luck!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Lol! That is funnny!
My younger siblings always tried to prevent me from taking an OCD interest in their reptilian pets. But once they lost interest in the poor little guys, they would just give them away to me for free. Sad. My relatives were always giving me their pets. As a little girl, that's how I got my first red eared slider turtle.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I’ve had a Russian tort for almost a week, he’s 1 year old and his name is Panzer. I’m only 14, but I have done my research, and what is common knowledge to me is that you should never keep two tortoises together, because one would start bullying the other. I listened to this and continued research for my tortoise, the. When I got him, my younger sister became instantly jealous, she’s 12. So my little sister decided that she wanted a tortoise! And my parents were going to allow it! I see this as unfair, as I had to sacrifice two birthdays for him and the money to buy him, and my sister was just going to get it like that?! And even worse, she wanted to keep it in the enclosure that I built, and as I said before that’s impossible! I sent my mum countless websites and forum messages to try and change her mind, but she just thinks I’m jealous! I’m worried about this tortoises life, and I need help to try and stop her from getting it, please any suggestions would be very helpful for me, and the tortoises life....
Martin, have your parents read this thread.

Martin's parents,
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Russian tortoises are some of the worse fighters. Here is what a common outcome looks like:
IMG_20150315_1158049371_zpsyicydtvn.jpg

If sister wants a tortoise too, that is great, but it will need its own enclosure. Questions are welcome. Happy to explain further if needed.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I realize children's "I WANT! I WANT!" is the bread and butter to pet shops, but I really wish they'd put a "cool down" time to small animal purchases. As a teen, I had plenty of reptiles and ran a one-man reptile rescue. I'd like to think I was pretty responsible. It was a LOT of work, and I was very atypical. I had no social life, no car, so reptiles were my only "friends" (cue violin solo). Many of the animals I rehabbed and rehomed were from homes where a toddler saw a turtle on Sesame Street and the parents went out and bought a 10gal aquarium and adult slider.

In the past 40 years, I've seen SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many children come in to buy dog food and walk out with a new pet. I was the voice of realism for lots of co-workers who would come to me and say, "My kid loves Finding Nemo. What do I need for a Nemo fish for my kid?" I would tell them two great things about whatever pet for the kid, then transition to all the work for the parent. Usually, when Mom & Dad realize they will be stuck with a turtle for the next 60 years when the kid is older, goes to college, marries, has kids... or that cute little boa will one day eat adult RATS that need to be kept frozen in the freezer next to mom's ICE CREAM... it's enough to put the kibosh on the dream.

PS... This isn't an indictment on all children pet owners. Teens are often pretty good with reptiles... but they need to make sure they understand that they need to arrange care during college years, dating, etc. Reptiles are a lot more work than a county fair prize goldfish.

PPS... I sound like an old man. "Dang whippersnappers! Get off my weeds!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
That is exactly what happened to me (I am 13) and my little sister wanted a tort and my parents would not listen to me.

Martin Clarkson

South Lanarkshire
Thanks guys, especially Tom. The images really helped! I didn’t mention this is my main comment, but my mum had a tortoise in the 80s, I think it was a Russian from her description of it, anyway it only lasted a few months, she told me that it escaped and went under their garage, but I don’t think she’s telling the truth. Panzer is doing great so far, enjoying his nice enclosure, thanks guys :)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I realize children's "I WANT! I WANT!" is the bread and butter to pet shops, but I really wish they'd put a "cool down" time to small animal purchases. As a teen, I had plenty of reptiles and ran a one-man reptile rescue. I'd like to think I was pretty responsible. It was a LOT of work, and I was very atypical. I had no social life, no car, so reptiles were my only "friends" (cue violin solo). Many of the animals I rehabbed and rehomed were from homes where a toddler saw a turtle on Sesame Street and the parents went out and bought a 10gal aquarium and adult slider.

In the past 40 years, I've seen SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many children come in to buy dog food and walk out with a new pet. I was the voice of realism for lots of co-workers who would come to me and say, "My kid loves Finding Nemo. What do I need for a Nemo fish for my kid?" I would tell them two great things about whatever pet for the kid, then transition to all the work for the parent. Usually, when Mom & Dad realize they will be stuck with a turtle for the next 60 years when the kid is older, goes to college, marries, has kids... or that cute little boa will one day eat adult RATS that need to be kept frozen in the freezer next to mom's ICE CREAM... it's enough to put the kibosh on the dream.

PS... This isn't an indictment on all children pet owners. Teens are often pretty good with reptiles... but they need to make sure they understand that they need to arrange care during college years, dating, etc. Reptiles are a lot more work than a county fair prize goldfish.

Ninja.. are u having bingo withdrawals? ?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Great post Ninja.. any reptile purchased for a kid is gonna be the parents responsibility to make sure its care requirements are met. Most kids dont have a 9-5 and cant afford vet bills, lighting, building a custom cage etc

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

LOL what a great story...

L

LasTortugasNinja

LOL Apologies to everyone... I ran out of coffee last weekend. LOL

Maybe Tom and I should get together and make a YouTube channel about why a parent SHOULDN'T get a particular pet for a kid. We can start with cute baby animals... kittens, puppies, baby tort, hatchling boa.... Then transition to building custom enclosures, interview a vet with an average bill, show an adult Sulcata that is 40 years old with a "This is that pet, in YOUR yard, when you are in your 70's!" message, and a boa in a custom 8ft by 10ft by 8 ft custom cage for an adult boa eating rabbits, chickens, and RATS... maybe even a scene of a leopard gecko eating cockroaches just to cover that little nugget, too. LOL

Something tells me it won't get a Chewy, PetSmart, or Petco sponsorship. LOL