A question for those that brumate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I am curious to know if anyone with brumating tortoises has observed any points of 'arousal' during their brumation. Hibernating mammals use an 'arousal' to stimulate physiological processes briefly, raise their body temperature briefly, and rid their body of waste build up at some point during their hibernation but it is generally not well understood and is counterproductive to the energy conservation goal of hibernation. I recognize that tortoises do not have the ability to endogenously raise their body temperatures during an arousal, but it seems like they could still void waste buildup and possibly cash in on some other benefits associated with arousals ... I am just curious if anyone who brumates their tortoises has any observations, experience or knowledge that would indicate one way or another if this is something tortoises engage in. Mammals do not leave the burrow during their arousal, but if you were brumating your tortoise inside it seems you may be able to observe if this were occurring. Not sure why I have been thinking about this lately but thought there was a chance someone here could have some input....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have not noticed this, but it could easily be happening without me seeing it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Normally the tortoise rids his body of waste prior to going into the brumation state. They stop eating a couple or three weeks prior, and then there isn't any waste matter. I brumate my tortoises in cardboard boxes of shredded newspaper. I've never seen poop or pee in there.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi...well this year is the first one that I had the guys brumate indoors from the start...so I have been able to check on them a bit ....I know that tortoise do move about while they brumate...I don't mean getting up and walking ...but they do make a motion or two every so often...but I was already aware of this but is kinda cool to see it you know?

None of the guys pee during brumation (actually, if one did he would ne pulled from brumation) I did find that my old man Humphry had a little turd the size of a rabbit turd but that happened within the first two days going in....and nothing else...also I have a white fluffy cotton towel that goes into each of their boxes and one has not moved/dug into the towel....one other has completely moved the towel and the other has worked his way in between the folds of the towel...the last one has elected his flannel material to rest on.....

I don't think that they are anywhere near arousal stage though...lol :D keep in mind also that when they brumate outdoors there is likely a bit of difference than indoors where the temps are pretty consistent and not the extreme freezing temps...I know from the last years brumation two of the guys actually backed out of their burrows in an attempt to dig in deeper and they did that when the temps dropped to 17°..which is when I swooped them up and had them finish off their brumation in the box....so they apparently can and do become aroused in a variety of situations...

I look forward to seeing what the others have to say... :D

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
I have brumated for many years outdoors... During this time during certain years with El Ninos I have had tortoises awaken for as long as a week or two and then return. During this time I have observed that some drink, none feed, they mostly sit around like rocks in the sun shine...

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Wouldn't know because i have got my tortoises like paris hilton has her dog. LOl:D:D:D

No but seriously when i have left them to hibernate they lasted 3 weeks and the weather warmed up and out they came happy as larry, but then it turned very cold again and they where not going back into hibernation. so i have 14 torts in my living room, housed obviously..:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.