A Newbie Looking for Lighting Advice

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello there! I'm a prospective tortoise owner trying to get a bit of solid advice under my belt before I run out to the store and start buying supplies. I'm trying to compose a list of all the things I need for my tortoise table and its construction so I can compose a budget before a tortoise enters my home. That being said, I was wondering what your opinion is on good brands for light bulbs, lighting fixtures, etc. My initial plan is to have a strip UVB light for, well, UVB, and a spotlight for heating. What brands would you suggest, along with wattage, to properly heat an indoor tortoise table for either a Russian or Hermann's tortoise? Thanks!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Welcome to TFO! How big is the enclosure?

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
I was planning to make it 2.5' by 6' with a smallish second level, most likely over the humid hide.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
stinax182 said:
i have a zoomed reptisun 10.0 fluorescent for uvb. and for the basking spot i have a 60w indoor floodlight. honestly, a regular incandescent bulb could work. you should invest in a temp gun http://m.ebay.com/itm/171144798534?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1 to accurately read your temps. for extra lighting i have a lower wattage incandescent bulb.

Thank you very much! I'll definitely bookmark that temperature gun eBay page. I never expected them to be so cheap!

How high do you think these lights should be mounted? I know that can be fiddled with, but I'd just like a general idea.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
a uvb must be 12" or so above the tortoises shell. it will have directions on it. as for the basking light, you are correct, you will probably have to fiddle with it a bit. I'd say no lower than 8" (some may say different) from the shell so it doesn't burn. if you can't get the desired temp then you need to get a higher wattage.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Perfect! Thank you so much. I'll write all of this down and add it to my tortoise folder

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
not sure what you have on your list so far, but the important things are a terra cotta under plant saucer large enough for your tortoise to fit in (available at any store that has a gardening section), whatever substrate you choose (i use top soil and ecoearth for my torts), lighting, multiple hides for your tort to hide in (maybe a plastic plant pot on it's side, plastic shoe box with a hole for the door, and live plants that your tort will nestle under) and a flat rock if you can find one. that's to keep the nails and beak trim if you feed them there.