A Little Worried HELP :(( (urates)

SGVlivin

Hi I woke up this morning to my sulcata tortoise with all this around her and she's laying on her feces too. I just cleaned up the feces and put her outside to roam and eat grass, butt I'm wondering was is all that white stuff. Is it just urine or is it from the calcium block that i leave in her tank.

Please comment below and let me know, thank you I appreciate it !!

IMG_2348.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
there is nothing to worry about. That's how to get rid of urine perfectly normal.

SGVlivin

that big chunk of white stuff is their urine?! usually i see puddles of water on the sand or when i bathe them i see the water looking different. but I have never seen that big white chunk. Oh my, I thought it was something bad because Ive been taking care of her for almost 1 year and I have never seen that big urine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The white stuff is urates, not urine, it comes out when they urinate. It is normal as long as it's the texture of tooth paste. If it comes out hard or gritty, then you need to hydrate better. The sand, will cause impactions, you should really get rid of it.

SGVlivin

i got the sand from zoomed, i thought it would be good for her because i let her outside during the day and when its night time i bring her back inside and i just kept it cause id rather her lay on sand then an empty tank. but would it really cause impactions? even though i pick up her feces right away when i see it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi. The white stuff is called urates. When it comes out the consistency that your see there, it's perfectly normal and good. If it ever comes out looking hard like rocks or gravel it means your tortoise is becoming dehydrated.

May I make a couple of suggestions? Sand is quite an irritant and if the tortoise accidentally ingest it it will cause a blockage. I've seen irritated skin and eyes from a tortoise being kept on sand, even the calci-sand sold for reptiles.

Also, if you're feeding those pellets, do you also feed fresh greens?

SGVlivin

My smaller one does not eat the pellets for some reason. She mainly eats grass and opuntia cactus that i planted outside. The bigger tortoise eats the pellets and also eats grass and opuntia cactus. Thank you for your comment I will definitely be getting rid of the sand asap!

Attachments

• IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 22

SGVlivin

Ignore the red on her face, it was just wet sand. from last time since this is a old picture!

I have a question. The big one is about 3 and half years old now and the smaller one is 2 years old. Would if be possible to keep them outside? Instead of always bringing them back indoors to sleep in the tank.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Ignore the red on her face, it was just wet sand. from last time since this is a old picture!

I have a question. The big one is about 3 and half years old now and the smaller one is 2 years old. Would if be possible to keep them outside? Instead of always bringing them back indoors to sleep in the tank.
This depends greatly on your set up and location.

If you would share what the outdoor enclosure looks like , where you are , temps etc , people can advise you.