Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
2017 Rescue #67.jpg

A young Apalone mutica? there are no bumps on the carapace behind the head. She's about 4" SCL with a female tail, but may be too young to tell yet.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I was going to say crawfish ...
But the turtle has me a bit stumped. The only softshelled turtles I've ever had my hands on are the Florida, Apalon ferox and the gulf coast spiny, Apalone spinifera aspera, which that turtle clearly isn't.
Your assessment of it being one of the smooth shoftshell turtles, Apalone mutica is likely correct but don't take my word for it.
Pretty animal regardless!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I was going to say crawfish ...
But the turtle has me a bit stumped. The only softshelled turtles I've ever had my hands on are the Florida, Apalon ferox and the gulf coast spiny, Apalone spinifera aspera, which that turtle clearly isn't.
Your assessment of it being one of the smooth shoftshell turtles, Apalone mutica is likely correct but don't take my word for it.
Pretty animal regardless!

"I was going to say crawfish..." :D :D :D

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sure looks like A. mutica A little hard to tell from the picture. A. spinifera would have rough tubercles on the carapace margin behind the neck and more of a sandpaper feel to the carapace. A. spinitera also has a septal ridge in the nose, as most softshells do, while A. mutica does not.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Sure looks like A. mutica A little hard to tell from the picture. A. spinifera would have rough tubercles on the carapace margin behind the neck and more of a sandpaper feel to the carapace. A. spinitera also has a septal ridge in the nose, as most softshells do, while A. mutica does not.
I'm agreeing with Markw84. I used to see those when I lived up north.