2 1/2 yr old slider, eggs?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I don't think you have enough dirt in there, deep enough. If they hit the bottom, they won't lay there. Turtles can be very picky where to lay. I have at least 15 inches of dirt and sand. Also the dirt should be just wet enough so it doesn't cave back in when she is digging. I have some sand mixed in with mine. The che will help also. When turtles are looking to lay they bob their heads up and down on the ground looking for the right spot. They are looking for humidity and warmth for their eggs. I think you are getting there. Just tweak it a little more. If this is her first time, she may dig a few holes before she actually lays them.

You can check for eggs in her by probing your fingers right in front of her rear legs. You will feel bumps. Be very careful though so you don't rupture them. You will know when she actually laid them when you don't feel bumps anymore when you feel in front of her rear legs. Hope this helps. It's great fun to have your own turtle lay eggs!
I skipped the CHE idea and put the tub on my front porch where it's much warmer she didn't dig anymore nests or lay eggs. I weighed her before I put her in there and weighed her when I took her out, no difference so I know I didn't miss anything. I returned her to the pond last night and am going to try again this weekend with a bigger tub and I'll try adding more dirt and sand. This is her first time laying so I suspect she doesn't really know what she's doing fully yet lol. Thanks for the advice!

Lrodmyre

Lindstrom, MN
My Western Painted Turle, Gracie, always lays her eggs in the evening, 5 pm and all the way up to midnight. I have had RES's in my possession for short periods to help them recover from respiratory infections. Some have laid eggs while in my care. Same time frame, in the evening.

Gracie has access to her nest box all the time, but will go in and out several times before she actually lays. Sometimes she frantically tries to get out of the tank even though her nest box is there all the time. Other times she is as calm as a cucumber.

Just keep putting her in the box. You're all get there!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Round twoScreenshot_20190824-182056.png I've got her in a 55 gallon with about 12" of potting soil. I've got the che over one end of the aquarium and she is nesting directly under it. See if she lays eggs this time.......

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Congrats! Now you can be at peace.... an d her too [emoji5]
Thanks ya I just really wanted her to just get them out. That's what I was really worried about. However her and my male that disappeared were sold to me as possible Het for albino. So I'm definitely going to try incubating then.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Thanks ya I just really wanted her to just get them out. That's what I was really worried about. However her and my male that disappeared were sold to me as possible Het for albino. So I'm definitely going to try incubating then.

Oh how cool... well it’s a win/win for you:) Hatching an adorable baby would be a bonus... and an albino baby, well that would just be a super cool bonus..

Have you incubated many before? ( besides hatching Marge) I’ve never done turtles or tortoises but the thought has crossed my mind lately..

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh how cool... well it’s a win/win for you:) Hatching an adorable baby would be a bonus... and an albino baby, well that would just be a super cool bonus..

Have you incubated many before? ( besides hatching Marge) I’ve never done turtles or tortoises but the thought has crossed my mind lately..
Nope this is the first time for me besides Marge.

Lrodmyre

Lindstrom, MN
Congratulations! There's nothing better than hatching your own turtle's eggs!

Look for a white spot to start showing up on the top about 24 to 48 hours after laying. That generally means they are fertile. The white circle will get bigger every day until the whole egg is white. About 2 weeks after that you should be able to "candle" it and see the blood veins. That's the coolest!

Good luck! Keep us in the loop with the progress!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Look for a white spot to start showing up on the top about 24 to 48 hours after laying. That generally means they are fertile. The white circle will get bigger every day until the whole egg is white. About 2 weeks after that you should be able to "candle" it and see the blood veins. That's the coolest!

Well looks like one out of the three is starting to chalk.IMG_20190826_203756259.jpg Im amazed because my sliders are only about 2 1/2 years old, and I've never seen any funny business going on lol.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

How long does it take for the white to cover the whole egg. The white spot popped up a couple days ago but hasn't spread at all.