A little help/advice with Herman Tortoise tabke

Carl_Deschain

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Got a young Hermann Tortoise 2 weeks ago, who we believe is a yearling (pet shop were not the most helpful). We set him up in a table but just wanted some advice on whether it's the best it can be for the little guy.
The temp is around 33-35 Celsius in the hotter end and between 22-25 in the colder end. I let it get to between 16-19 at night. The humidity stays around 50%. We are using Pro Life tortoise substrate, a couple of inches deep.
Whilst the glass has a green grass effect, I'm sure he is still seeing his reflection in it and this is stressing him out.
I am considering getting a "humid hide" with some orchid moss or whatever it's called. Would people recommended this?
Any other comments or ideas on the set up would be hugely appreciated. Thanks guys [emoji4][emoji106]IMG_20171202_113742.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh what a gorgeous tort! GOD bless. :)

Glass is not recommended, as torts do not understand the concept of glass. They may keep trying to get out. :(

I have a feeling that the enclosure is way too small. Please keep in mind that these cute little animals are used to wandering around in the wild without boundaries/"red lights" so as to speak.

Please give your tort a daily soak in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.

Carl_Deschain

UK
Oh what a gorgeous tort! GOD bless. :)

Glass is not recommended, as torts do not understand the concept of glass. They may keep trying to get out. :(

I have a feeling that the enclosure is way too small. Please keep in mind that these cute little animals are used to wandering around in the wild without boundaries/"red lights" so as to speak.

Please give your tort a daily soak in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.
Hi, thanks for the reply. We have been giving a soak every morning and he's slowing starting to enjoy it! [emoji23]
What sort of measurements would you recommend? I realise there really is no limit and bigger was always better, but I was under the impression the little guy would be okay in this kind of set up for a year or two?
I want to get some things to break up his eye line a bit more. Anything you could recommend? I'm also aware that, like you say, there isn't loads of space and don't want to overcrowd the area.
Thanks again for you reply! [emoji4][emoji106]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
When I got my tortoise, she was 4 inches long (10.6 cm). Here on the forum, I was advised to START with a box that was about 1 meter by 1.5 or so, and about 45 cm deep. The box needs to be WATER PROOFED which was my biggest problem. I was told that a couple of layers of paint, then 4 inches of clean garden soil or potting soil would be sufficient. I did that but found out a couple of years later that when she dug herself down into the dirt (which she LOVES to do- it helps them feel safe) her claws SCRATCHED the paint, so that moisture from the enclosure got into the wood and parts of it started to crumble a little.
What i did to remedy that (since i didn't want to build a new box) was to purchase a shower PAN liner. I don't know if you have them in the UK, but here in the US there are rolls of 40 mil thick flexible PVC sheeting that is laid down between the tile and the wall. Her claws can't scratch through it. I used a staple gun to attach it to her wooden enclosure.

I periodically dig holes in the enclosure dirt and pour in water, then cover the holes. That way, the surface stays dry so she doesn't get fungus, but the sub-soil that she buries herself in is very MOIST but NOT sodden. This helps with hydration.
i sometimes lay a sheet of plexiglass across the top of the box to help keep the moisture in, but remember that the UV light can't penetrate the Plexiglass.

I know the pet store sold you that soil specifically for tortoises, but those white specks are worrisome- she might try to eat them. I used either coco coir or bags of organic potting soil. But NOT all potting soil is the same- even the ones labelled "organic." I once bought a couple bags of "organic potting soil" for her enclosure, but when I opened it, I was hit with a strong PINE scent. It was nothing but ground up pine bark which is bad because the pine oils are very irritating to their skin, eyes and mucous membranes. I used it on my flower beds and did NOT buy any more.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Most tortoises like to bury themselves for security, so I would make sure your tortoise's soil is about 10 cm deep.
He would also probably REALLY like some more softer things to hide behind and under. I tried using live plants, even in pots, but they always died. So now I use plastic plants stuck down in the soil. My tortoise loves to bury down under the fake plants. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It looks like the pet store sold you the typical water and food dishes that many of us were also sold. The steep sides and resin content are really a bit awkward for the tortoises.
What I think most of us do is use terra-cotta plant saucers for food and water! They are available in many sizes and are quite inexpensive. They have sloping sides so it's easy for the tortoise to get in and out.
If the water dish is a good bit wider than the tortoise, then they and soak themselves when they feel like it!
And having a large food dish is also beneficial because they often poop when they eat, so you will often find poop in their food dish. You can keep track of how well hydrated they are because the urates in their poop will show you: hard and gritty if they're dehydrated and soft and creamy if they're well hydrated. Scraping their beaks on the terra-cotta to get the leaves of food also helps keep their beaks in trim.

Here's my beautiful Elsa Elizabeth in her food dish!

fullsizeoutput_78.jpeg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Please note that when I remarked about being advised by someone on the forum to use paint for water proofing, other people were making other recommendations as well. I chose to take that suggestion because it was easiest for me. This forum is full of fantastic information! Of course, animal husbandry is no different than raising children, really: many people have many approaches, and what works well for one family does not work at all well for another.
So I suggest read, Read, READ. Ask questions. Ponder on the answers and see what makes sense to you.
We all learn as we go, so don't kick yourself when an approach you chose didn't work the way you hoped. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
One more thing: most tortoises prefer MORE cover rather than less. Hiding makes them feel secure. :)

abbieandshelbie

blackheath london
hi I am kind of new to the whole tortoise thing, I have a herman tortoise she is just over one years old, I happily received her for my 30th this year after wanting one for many years. I have been a bit concerned this evening as she seems blocked up a bit and also keeps falling asleep under her heat lamp. please let me know is I should be concerned

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, thanks for the reply. We have been giving a soak every morning and he's slowing starting to enjoy it! [emoji23]
What sort of measurements would you recommend? I realise there really is no limit and bigger was always better, but I was under the impression the little guy would be okay in this kind of set up for a year or two?
I want to get some things to break up his eye line a bit more. Anything you could recommend? I'm also aware that, like you say, there isn't loads of space and don't want to overcrowd the area.
Thanks again for you reply! [emoji4][emoji106]
Personally, I believe that the bigger the enclosure, the better.

Great to hear that your tort is enjoying soaks.

Carl_Deschain

UK
hi I am kind of new to the whole tortoise thing, I have a herman tortoise she is just over one years old, I happily received her for my 30th this year after wanting one for many years. I have been a bit concerned this evening as she seems blocked up a bit and also keeps falling asleep under her heat lamp. please let me know is I should be concerned
I got mine for my 30th as well! [emoji4]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "blocked up." Do you mean she's sniffling like her nose is blocked up, or not pooping, like her bowels are blocked up? Or something else?

I'm not sure yet why she is falling asleep under her heat lamp. My first thought is that the rest of her enclosure might be too cold to be comfortable for her. But it is important for us (and you) to always know 3 temperatures in any of your tortoise enclosures: temperature in the coolest end, temperature in the warmest end and in the warmest basking spot. Can you tell us what these temperatures are?
It is also important to know the humidity.

A picture of your tortoise enclosure is very helpful for us to see if we are going to be able to help.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Got a young Hermann Tortoise 2 weeks ago, who we believe is a yearling (pet shop were not the most helpful). We set him up in a table but just wanted some advice on whether it's the best it can be for the little guy.
The temp is around 33-35 Celsius in the hotter end and between 22-25 in the colder end. I let it get to between 16-19 at night. The humidity stays around 50%. We are using Pro Life tortoise substrate, a couple of inches deep.
Whilst the glass has a green grass effect, I'm sure he is still seeing his reflection in it and this is stressing him out.
I am considering getting a "humid hide" with some orchid moss or whatever it's called. Would people recommended this?
Any other comments or ideas on the set up would be hugely appreciated. Thanks guys [emoji4][emoji106]View attachment 224176

I personally got rid of the tortoise table that came with my tortoise because it doesn't keep humidity well. The bottom of the table molded from the water and heat it was exposed to in just 1 week. I switched to a 120cm rabbit cage that i've covered with a see through shower curtain to keep the humidity in. I believed I used the same type of substrate that your using and I got rid of it because i found it to dusty - I switched to cococoir and topsoil.

Carl_Deschain

UK
I personally got rid of the tortoise table that came with my tortoise because it doesn't keep humidity well. The bottom of the table molded from the water and heat it was exposed to in just 1 week. I switched to a 120cm rabbit cage that i've covered with a see through shower curtain to keep the humidity in. I believed I used the same type of substrate that your using and I got rid of it because i found it to dusty - I switched to cococoir and topsoil.
Thanks for the feedback [emoji4][emoji106]