A Lamp On Top Of A Glass Cover

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I want to have some extra light in my closed chamber and thought about placing a lamp on top of my glass cover with a low wattage bulb, but will it be safe? Another reason is because my glass cover builds up condensation and I thought the heat of the lamp would reduce the amount of condensation. I know glass breaks when heated to a certain degree, but would the heat be enough to do that? Also, I haven't been able to find an incandescent lower than 40 watts anyone know where I could purchase one?

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Barb, I have an 18" fluorescent on the other half with a reflector and I changed out my incandescent flood bulb for a spot to increase basking temperatures without raising the ambient. The spot bulb doesn't produce enough light to light up the other end. I would go with a much longer fluorescent, but it won't fit the way the aquarium is designed. I thought about suspending a lamp instead of resting it on the glass cover, but I'm not sure if the heat will be enough to reduce condensation.
wellington said:
I would put a fluorescent but nothing other then that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is the humidity reading? You may be able to cut that down a little, to 80 if it's above that. The fluorescent does produce a little heat, not much, but may be enough to reduce the condensation. Also, if you wipe it off, before you place the light, it may not build back up or as fast. I would just be afraid the glass will break. Maybe if you placed it, so it didn't sit on the glass, a regular bulb would work. If you have a glass company on your area, call them and see if they know how you could place it so it wouldn't break the glass.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Humidity is around 93-97% during the day and 99%+ when the lights go off at night. I don't even add water or spray the enclosure and it gets that high, it's self maintaining because there is water at the base of the aquarium underneath the orchid bark. I've removed the glass cover for a few days now to dry out the substrate and evaporate some of the water that's in there. I air dry the glass when they're outside sunning, it's only in the morning when the condensation is almost ready to drip. Yeah, I was thinking of getting a domed light fixture and having the fixture sit on top the actual bulb won't touch the glass. I just feel a 40W is still too much. I'll do some research and make a phone call if needed too. Thanks Barb, for helping me come up with some ideas! :D
wellington said:
What is the humidity reading? You may be able to cut that down a little, to 80 if it's above that. The fluorescent does produce a little heat, not much, but may be enough to reduce the condensation. Also, if you wipe it off, before you place the light, it may not build back up or as fast. I would just be afraid the glass will break. Maybe if you placed it, so it didn't sit on the glass, a regular bulb would work. If you have a glass company on your area, call them and see if they know how you could place it so it wouldn't break the glass.