A few Random pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Petunia enjoying a warm day in the yard.

IMG_1199.jpg

Daisy wiped out!

IMG_1194.jpg

Look what I got for Petunia and Daisy!!

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

Finally, one of two huge Ice Plants we have in our back yard. Petunia is a lady, and will only eat one flower and some juicy stems before moving one.

IMG_1198.jpg

I got materials for building a 3 x 8 enclosure for Daisy in the backyard, including chicken wire to over the top to protect her from owls and hawks. I'll post pictures when that gets done!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Petunia and Daisy are beautiful....and so lucky. I love that little pot of hibiscus. I've never seen one so small and compact and with so many buds on it.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I want a hibiscus plant!! I'm so jealous. ;)
Petunia and Daisy are so cute :D

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
my hibiscus is that same way...it's the dwarf variety. They dont get big at all and tons of buds. :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Such cute photos of your girls! :D

How convenient that they love the flowers you bought them...as long as they don't eat them all, I guess! ;)

rwfoss

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Can you tell me the name of that hibiscus? I really love it.

Terry,

The label from Home Depot says "Sunny Wind" Tropical Hibiscus. Don't know if that helps at all.

So some good friends down the street, who are thinking of getting a tortoise, wanted to see our girls. We brought them over and let them romp around the backyard. They gave Daisy a Hibiscus flower and we let them have a rare treat - strawberries! Petunia's second, Daisy's first.

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Good pictures, I also have that color of Hibiscus, my torts seem to prefer that plants leaves and flowers over the other kinds I have.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am going to pretend I don't see those tortoises eating strawberry:p
Chikat...get a Rose of Sharon. That's what I have they re a hardy type of Hibiscus and can take the freezing and snow. Mine has big white and red flowers and is just now starting to get their leafs. I have 2 plants and they are as tall as me and I am 5'8".

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Petunia and Daisy are adorable. I love that picture of Petunia looking at Daisy when they're eating. That's exactly the way the Ruby looks at Dale when they're eating. :D It must be a tortoise thing. :p

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Petunia and Daisy are adorable. I love that picture of Petunia looking at Daisy when they're eating. That's exactly the way the Ruby looks at Dale when they're eating. :D It must be a tortoise thing. :p

It got better. Petunia would look at her berry, then look longingly at Daisy munching away on her berry...and take a step closer. She never tried to take the berry away, which is nice, but it was really cute to watch them together. This is the second time they've been in the same area together and the first time Petunia even showed interest in Daisy.

maggie3fan said:
I am going to pretend I don't see those tortoises eating strawberry:p

What strawberry? Those are oddly shaped...red...

Ok, they were strawberries. But only the one! I swear!! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OMG! Strawberries are deadly to tortoises! My friends sister's brother in law's friends cousins twice removed read that somewhere on the internet. Why would you risk their lives this way?

HA!

Great pics. I have a friend with a female sulcata that looks just like that. Is she fairly mild mannered? Chunk, my friends tortoise, is very outgoing and un-afraid, but not as pushy and assertive as most sulcatas. I wonder if there is a particular locality where they look and behave like this.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Tom said:
OMG! Strawberries are deadly to tortoises! My friends sister's brother in law's friends cousins twice removed read that somewhere on the internet. Why would you risk their lives this way?

HA!

Great pics. I have a friend with a female sulcata that looks just like that. Is she fairly mild mannered? Chunk, my friends tortoise, is very outgoing and un-afraid, but not as pushy and assertive as most sulcatas. I wonder if there is a particular locality where they look and behave like this.

You had me going for a second, Tom. That was awesome!

She is still a little shy, but he has definitely gotten used to Carla and I, and did great yesterday with our two friends whom she had never been around. She will still pull in if I try to hand feed her anything, although sometimes she will eventually eat. She does let me pet her leg now and again. I'm thinking by the time she gets a little bigger she'll be pretty social. I definitely wouldn't call her pushy or assertive. Then again, she's got a ways to go being only about a year and half!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
maggie3fan said:
Chikat...get a Rose of Sharon. That's what I have they re a hardy type of Hibiscus and can take the freezing and snow. Mine has big white and red flowers and is just now starting to get their leafs. I have 2 plants and they are as tall as me and I am 5'8".

Thanks Maggie! Nelson's breeder is selling Rose of Sharon seeds but I don't think I'm patient enough to wait for them to grow from seed :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I just started a bunch of rose of sharons, from seed that 2 nice members sent me last year.

M

Maggie Cummings

dmmj said:
I just started a bunch of rose of sharons, from seed that 2 nice members sent me last year.

So did I so we will see what happens. I am thinking that my seeds have dumped. They've been in the ground long enough to have sprouted and they haven't. It just is not sunny enough here. Most days are gray and cloudy. I think I have lost close to 100 house plants that I brought with me from Calif. There's simply not enough sun. Plants need sun to grow. I am so disappointed that way. House plants are a hobby of mine and living with the weather here simply sucks. On one side of my house I have 2 Rose of Sharon beautiful bloomers, 2 crepe Myrtle trees both good bloomers, a butterfly bush a stand of Holly Hocks and a row of Iris. 2 wisteria that I have forgotten to say. Yes I know they are toxic they are on my side of the house. All of these bloom except for the Iris and I have my fingers crossed they will bloom this year. I have Iris planted on 3 sides of my house, they all grow good but there's no blooming. On was growing in a 10 gallon bucket and just a blooming fool. So I took it out and broke it up and planted them all around. It was the most beautiful flower you ever saw. When I took it out of the pot and we split it there were almost 20 tubers there so I am hoping I didn't harm it by getting it out of that pot.
I do house plants not outside plants, but I'm trying...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You should start the seeds in starter pots then transfer to the ground when they are about 4 inches high, I got a ton of hollyyhock seeds also that I am planning tostart they can eat the flowers right?

Status
Not open for further replies.