A few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coral Springs, FL
Well, since joining the forum yesterday I have completely fallen in love with leopard tortoises!

I know there are enclosed habitats that would be safe for awhile with a young leopard but eventually I'd need a large area probably a 10'x10' area right? At what age would the tortoise need the full area? My main concern would be the outdoor enclosure because we will need to have the yard sprayed for the dogs to avoid getting fleas and ticks. Is there any way to safely build an enclosure off the ground and enclosed away from the sprayed plants? Or is it possible to keep the tortoise inside for a few days after the yard is sprayed? Any other ideas or recommendations?

Thanks for any help :D

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Witht he spray of the yard, ask your bug guy and it. He should know about the effects of that posion and reptiles.. Also find out what area he does spray, and consider skipping a area for your torts

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
As far as bringing them inside, sure it's OK. Even though you're in a state (I assume Florida :p) that can house him outdoors all year, it's good to have something to bring him inside to in case something goes wrong, like heavy rains etc. Actually essential.

As far as the spraying goes though I am not too sure, but I would think the pesticides sprayed would stay for a while and the plants could possibly take in some of this stuff? And if that's the case, I don't think I'd chance my tortoise going outside for weeks, IF the stuff you're spraying does stick around. But I agree, ask whoever is doing it, what they think.

And as far as the enclosure, 10x10ft is probably the bare minimum for an adult leopard. They get to be 14-18". I would think of something of 12x12 or more if you're thinking about a Leo.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
Good idea, I'll find out from the bug people about what they spray and where before buying a tortoise.

I could go larger than 12x12 for the outdoor enclosure, I just did a couple google searches and saw that as one of the areas but you guys are better than google :D I'll have to search the site for some indoor and outdoor enclosure ideas! What about predators? We have lots of opposums and raccoons down here. How do you cover such a large enclosure?

I was thinking of the Zoo Med tortoise house for a young leopard, how long would that last before I'd need something bigger? I think you can add on another one too. I thought it'd be cool to put some wheels on it and push it from inside to outside for some sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.