A Baytril Success Story

Curlybird

Location (City and/or State)
Berkshire, UK
Don't get the vitamin injection. Most often, the B vitamin is also included with A. Too much vitamin A causes the skin to slough off. You can start soaking your tortoise in a mixture of Gerber strained carrots and warm water. They absorb a bit of nutrients while soaking. Leave him in the mixture for at least a half hour and longer is better, but watch to make sure he doesn't end up on his back in the water.

Thanks Yvonne. I'd read one of your posts before about vitamins which Is why I am wary. What's the ratio of carrots to water? He's not a keen bather so how do I get him to stay in for 30 mins or more?

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am following this with concern. I feel he should be getting probiotics on whatever he is managing to eat. Has he put back on any weight?

Curlybird

Berkshire, UK
I am following this with concern. I feel he should be getting probiotics on whatever he is managing to eat. Has he put back on any weight?

No TammyJ because he hadn't finished his course of treatment. What type of probiotics do you recommend?

Curlybird

Berkshire, UK
I'd also increase his heat to 85 or 90. That will help with digestion. But what is happening to him now is serious, you must feed him what he would NORMALLY eat until he is better and obviously, that ain't Mazuri

I know it's serious hence the vet visit and being here for advice. Never fed him mazuri or the UK equivalent. I try weeds as much as I can with a few vegetables when I have to.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks Yvonne. I'd read one of your posts before about vitamins which Is why I am wary. What's the ratio of carrots to water? He's not a keen bather so how do I get him to stay in for 30 mins or more?

I use a bowl with tall sides, but a small footprint so that I can go half baby food and half water, using only a half a jar of baby food. (I'm stingy) With a tall-sided bowl, he has to stay in there as long as you want him to. So he scrambles around. Too bad. (I'm also hard hearted)

Curlybird

Berkshire, UK
I use a bowl with tall sides, but a small footprint so that I can go half baby food and half water, using only a half a jar of baby food. (I'm stingy) With a tall-sided bowl, he has to stay in there as long as you want him to. So he scrambles around. Too bad. (I'm also hard hearted)

Thanks Yvonne. I'll let you know how I get on!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Where do I get it?
I would imagine at your pet supply store, pet shop, vet, etc.? Or order it on line? It's not available to me here in Jamaica but I know that it is available in the US.