6x3x2 heating

baldegale

so i have a 6x3x2 closed chamber built (well two of them actually) and i planned on using a CHE for ambient temps in both. one enclosure is gonna have a redfoot the other a baby sulcata. i have one 100watt CHE in one and i feel like that should be enough to heat to the low-mid 80s but its struggling to get past the 78° mark. granted this CHE is over 3 years old and has been used every single day all day since then so im thinking its lacking some power. do you think these could be heated with a single 100 watt che in each? should i go to a 150 watt?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
CHEs don't wear out. I have one that has been in constant use since 1991.

Only your thermometer can answer your question. There are too many variables for any of us to answer correctly. Material the cage is made of, amount of ventilation, room temp where it sits, etc...

My preference is to spread the heat out. RHPs work best for this in my experience, but you can also have two CHEs on either end of the enclosure to do it.

baldegale

CHEs don't wear out. I have one that has been in constant use since 1991.

Only your thermometer can answer your question. There are too many variables for any of us to answer correctly. Material the cage is made of, amount of ventilation, room temp where it sits, etc...

My preference is to spread the heat out. RHPs work best for this in my experience, but you can also have two CHEs on either end of the enclosure to do it.

meant to include this picture of my enclosure. its made out of wood and polyethylene, theres nothing escaping through the cracks of the wood cause its also lined with polyethylene. i dont have it air tight by choice but can make it more air tight if that would help any. im gonna order two 150 watt CHEs tonight to see if it helps any as im only a few degrees off. the ambient temp in the room is always 72-74° some times warmer (also i should add this lighting set up is temporary, a UVB is gonna go in the middle but i dont have it yet so im just testing stuff out)

9165042B-6A49-4DC0-B695-0168D9182BE2.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh... I see the problem. The plastic sheeting doesn't offer much insulation. That's why you are losing your heat. If you tack on some plywood to the sides, back and top, you'll use a lot less electricity and your temps will stay much warmer and more consistent.

baldegale

Ahh... I see the problem. The plastic sheeting doesn't offer much insulation. That's why you are losing your heat. If you tack on some plywood to the sides, back and top, you'll use a lot less electricity and your temps will stay much warmer and more consistent.
what about foam insulation board instead of plywood? (just trying to keep it as light as possible as were gonna be moving frequently for the next 3-4 years) im gonna order two 150 watt ches tonight anyways as im really only like 4-5° off what i need.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what about foam insulation board instead of plywood? (just trying to keep it as light as possible as were gonna be moving frequently for the next 3-4 years) im gonna order two 150 watt ches tonight anyways as im really only like 4-5° off what i need.
That should work as long as the foam is protected from their feet.

This size enclosure isn't going to last more than a year for a sulcata, unless yours grows much slower than usual for some reason.

baldegale

That should work as long as the foam is protected from their feet.

This size enclosure isn't going to last more than a year for a sulcata, unless yours grows much slower than usual for some reason.
i know, we have a whole spare room ready for the guy, this was just built from stuff we had on hand for while hes ~3 months old. within a couple years hell be outside having rein over the whole yard

Reactions: Tom

baldegale

also i put a spare piece of plywood on top only and it seems to do the trick. im wondering though if i could use a mylar blanket for the same effect?