60 minutes segment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocco5410

5 Year Member
I was wondering if anyone caught the special on 60 minutes tonight and curious to hear everyone's thoughts about it.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
It was great with the exception that it made it seem like all tortoises were illegal as pets.

I loved their focus on conservation and hope it raises awareness of the issues facing the critically endangered species.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
60 Minutes tonight

Anyone see 60 Minutes tonight? There was a segment on endangered turtles and tortoises. Direct tv dvr again at 10 pm EST

Niki

5 Year Member
I am watching it now.. Never heard of the plowshare tort. Gorgeous! That man is doing incredible work.

Niki said:
I am watching it now.. Never heard of the ploughshare tort. Gorgeous! That man is doing incredible work.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Just recorded it. Thanks for the reminder.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Mixed feelings!
*Sad to see animals suffer needlessly. :(
*Mad to see ignorant peoples actions destroying this earth. :(
*Happy to see beautiful rare tortoises. :)
*Amazed to see the 60k dollar plowshare tortoise laying eggs. :)

Overall I thought the 60 minutes clip was great! :D

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Saw it also. The Ploughshare was gorgeous.. Sad to see the marking of its shell is needed to prevent poaching. Angry/sick about the tort market and seeing all those shells. Amazed at his private tort/turt sanctuary. Encouraged by the conservation efforts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DITTO to all the above except Toms. I'm not in his time zone:D I wish it would have been a longer segment and more info. But was nice to see it. Hey Tom, do you know that guy?

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
I was very impressed with it. In 15 minutes they provided more tortoise information, facts, and footage than any other show I've saw on animal planet or discovery. Some random thoughts:

-it was depressing. It looks like the tortoises of Madagascar have no hope, but in that heavily guarded breeding facility.
-That Galapagos that extended its neck with it's mouth open was huge. It's head was almost eye level with the guy, and he looked to be tall to begin with.
-Everyone who sees that piece is going to feel sympathetic towards tortoises. Maybe this will bring some positive attention to the situation and help raise funds for more breeding facilities, similar to the one the guy had in California.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I wished that it was much longer. They did say that Galapagos tortoises get up to 400 pounds? I thought they get much bigger? I really enjoyed the whole thing. It's great to see people doing good things with their money.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
DITTO to all the above except Toms. I'm not in his time zone:D I wish it would have been a longer segment and more info. But was nice to see it. Hey Tom, do you know that guy?

No, I don't know him..... yet. I know several of his friends and other people who do know him, and I'm working on getting an invitation to his place. Soon...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
RE: 60 Minutes tonight

Yes and some of it was typical media coverage. They told the viewer what they wanted to. Not the whole story. I've also never seen anyone carry a tortoise with one hand above their head like a tray of beer glasses as the people were doing in the story. Pretty easy way to drop one, pretty stupid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I think its wonderful that someone with a lot of money has taken an interest in saving the turtles and tortoises of the world. I'd love to be able to go visit his place here in Southern Calif. And what a pretty tortoise the ploughshare is. I totally enjoyed the segment. Makes me pretty sad for the tortoises we can't save.

BarbMaul

5 Year Member
Valparaiso, IN

It was really good to see. I downloaded the 60 minutes app and watched it first thing this morning. I wasn't sure if I should feel guilty for owning one or feel good for taking care of him.

rocco5410

5 Year Member
Eric Goode is doing amazing work and its so awesome to see someone who has money give back not only for tort/turt benefits but for wildlife in general. It's sad that the Plowshare enterprise goes under the radar as it does especially since its one of the most endangered species on the planet! Tort/turts have the dinosaurs come and go which is why I adore this species so much ..they are a symbol of survival and existence.

BarbMaul

5 Year Member
Valparaiso, IN
MrJorgensen said:
It was great with the exception that it made it seem like all tortoises were illegal as pets.

I loved their focus on conservation and hope it raises awareness of the issues facing the critically endangered species.

I feel exactly the same way.

rocco5410

5 Year Member
I think there are exceptions to any matter affecting having wildlife animals as pets. Tortoise owners (like ourselves) who have an ambition for the species are excluded in that sense. I don't really feel that was the point of the segment at all. Trying to educate people on how rare the species actually is and the wrongs people are committing for the reward of a buck is out of this world. Our duty as tortoise enthusiast is to spread the message about how we cannot take resources from the earth without a consequence!

Status
Not open for further replies.