50's Warm Enough for a Little Fresh Air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I know, probably not...but it's a beautiful 55 degree day here in Boston. I've been outside doing yard work. Is it too cold (even in the sun) to bring Dante out for ~10 min for some fresh air? If so, what's really the minimum temp for a quick recess outside on a Spring day?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Do you have a temp gun ? air temp could be 55 but the ground temp could be in the 70 I'm putting mine out for some sun in a minute my temp was 81 in the sun I'm about and hour south west of Boston

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I think if its sunny and he is in the direct sun its ok. I dont let mine out when its that cold. If it cooler and sunny I will put mine in the sun but not the shade

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I would never expose a tortoise that is kept indoors for a long period to temperatures that low so abruptly. Regardless of what a temperature gun may say that the ground temperature is in the sun, if the air temperature is 55 degrees, the temperature is 55 degrees, period. Doing so can be the start pneumonia and/or other health issues. Hermann's tortoises as well as other Northern Mediterranean species can easily withstand temperatures lower than 55 degrees and will often come out to bask in the sun, if they have been acclimated to seasonal changes gradually. A sudden change can often cause stress and health issues. "Fresh air" isn't that important, temperatures are. The ground is also probably still very damp in most places in the Northeast too. It's still downright wet here. It's been in the low to mid 50's with some sunny days a few times within the past couple of weeks here where I live in New York State and all of my tortoises that are hibernating outdoors are still hibernating. Not a sign of one of them yet. That might tell something. JMO

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
GBtortoises said:
I would never expose a tortoise that is kept indoors for a long period to temperatures that low so abruptly. Regardless of what a temperature gun may say that the ground temperature is in the sun, if the air temperature is 55 degrees, the temperature is 55 degrees, period. Doing so can be the start pneumonia and/or other health issues. Hermann's tortoises as well as other Northern Mediterranean species can easily withstand temperatures lower than 55 degrees and will often come out to bask in the sun, if they have been acclimated to seasonal changes gradually. A sudden change can often cause stress and health issues. "Fresh air" isn't that important, temperatures are. The ground is also probably still very damp in most places in the Northeast too. It's still downright wet here. It's been in the low to mid 50's with some sunny days a few times within the past couple of weeks here where I live in New York State and all of my tortoises that are hibernating outdoors are still hibernating. Not a sign of one of them yet. That might tell something. JMO

DITTO, don't forget how warm you are bringing him from, 80+ and how cold 55 is compared to 80

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
OK thanks for the input everyone. I'll just have to be patient!!

Status
Not open for further replies.