4 Week Old Sulcata Suddenly Sleeping a lot

sanchezangel008

Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
Hello!! I am a new Sulcata owner. I purchased a baby a week and a half ago. When we brought him home he was doing amazing! He was always wondering about his enclosure and eating really well. He wouldn’t sleep as much as he is now. For the past couple of days, he’s been sleeping a lot but he is still eating. Should I be concerned about this? I’ve been feeding hime romaine lettuce and spring mix. I keep his inside enclosure around 90-95° and during the day I put him in his outside enclosure. It’s around 85-95° outside where I live right now. It’s super dry here so I have been soaking him 2 a week and I mist his enclosures twice a day as well. Please help!!!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Sleeping, eating, and pooping is what sullies do best at that age. It does take a little while for them to acclimate to their new surroundings though. Many will wander around the first day or so, then nothing for another week or so. That behavior is normal. How's your humidity running in the indoor enclosure? Got pics of it? Babies need at least 80% humidity. Your ambient temp should also be around 80-85F. Those would be the ideal conditions to get it active again. I'd be doing warm 20-30 minute soaks twice daily, not weekly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!! I am a new Sulcata owner. I purchased a baby a week and a half ago. When we brought him home he was doing amazing! He was always wondering about his enclosure and eating really well. He wouldn’t sleep as much as he is now. For the past couple of days, he’s been sleeping a lot but he is still eating. Should I be concerned about this? I’ve been feeding hime romaine lettuce and spring mix. I keep his inside enclosure around 90-95° and during the day I put him in his outside enclosure. It’s around 85-95° outside where I live right now. It’s super dry here so I have been soaking him 2 a week and I mist his enclosures twice a day as well. Please help!!!
Where did you get the tortoise?

Please read this. Your tortoise needs to be mostly indoors while it is a baby, and it needs to be soaked every day. Most of the care info given for this species is wrong. Here is the right info: