4" Sulcata

TheDukeAnumber1

About Bowser: I bough Bowser almost 2 years ago at a local pet shop. I've really enjoy keeping a tortoise as a pet, but I've come to realize that sulcatas are truly build for the heat, and Northern Illinois so far from ideal for a sulcata that I don't think I will be able to provide Bowser with the environment he should have. Keeping him indoors for over 6 months out of the year wouldn't be fair to him.

I do not know the gender yet but Bowser has a great personality. He is curious, outgoing, gentle, and is comfortable around people. He's been raised on mazuri, grassland, mixed greens, and supplemented with calcium, reptile vitamin, and has been soaked daily.

If Bowser has a chance to go to a good home I will overnight him to you at my cost. I would highly prefer someone who already has a sulcata setup and experience. I would he happy to trade for a tortoise that is more adapted to colder climates and/or hibernates.

Here is a video link of him - It should go live shortly

I don't want to see Bowser go, but for his quality of life I hope someone will help give him a warmer home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a very generous offer. Normally the one wanting the tortoise pays shipping. I know this is a hard decision for you. I only wish people in climates like yours would listen to us when we tell them they shouldn't get a sulcata. It's hard, but you've made the right decision.

Your tortoise looks pretty darned good.

RTAYLOR540

5 Year Member
Hello my friend! This is a tough decision, I'm sure. If I can convince my fiancé, I would love to have Bowser come down to Florida. If noone else responds in the next day or so then I will get back in touch with you regarding this. I'm currently housing 1 young sulcata under 1 year and have plenty of space.

TheDukeAnumber1

Thanks Yvonne G I'll let Bowser know :) Unfortunately I did fall into the idea that Sulcatas could be kept where I live, but after two years with this little guy I realized he does need to be down south to have proper care. If you have any suggestions of any other tortoise species I could look into that would be appreciated. I feel like Bowser was the perfect tort, well mannered, eliminated during soaks, never smelled, are any others as good as Sulcatas?

@ RTAYLOR540
Thanks for offering, I hope you can give Bowser a warm home. If it turns our you can take him if you could post a pic of your setup, ya know just so I can get some warm ' n ' fuzzies knowing he'll be well provided for that would also be appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish more people would come to this realization before buying. I respect and commend you for putting Bowser's needs first.

Any of the Testudo should be fine for you. Russians, hermanni, and greeks are all great tortoises. Russians usually have bold outgoing personalities, are hardy and adaptable and definitely can be hibernated. I think hermanni are prettier though...

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I sympathize with you. I am going through the same thing with my sulcata now. My local pet store sells sulcata hatchlings all the time. Makes me wonder what happens to all the others? Kudos to you for putting the torts needs above your desire to have him. I keep REDFOOTS in ohio with no problem As long as you have a closed chamber to keep them in during the inclement weather/winter as they don't hibernate. Good luck!

Zeko

5 Year Member
Not to be rude, but any tortoise can be raised in cold climates. I live in Canada, and know first hand. Yes it takes money, time and experimenting, but I can be done well.

Now I do give you kudos for you taking the initiative on shipping and finding a good home. I know many on here will jump at your offer!

TheDukeAnumber1

Thanks guys it's not a decision I wanted to make but I feel like I need too.

@ Zeko
You aren't wrong, they can bet kept in Northern states with a big enough setup, but I have to be realistic with what I'm able to provide. I believe I could keep Bowser alive and physically healthy, but what that will mean for him/her when Bowser gets a lot bigger is extended periods of time in an enclosure that's not quite big enough and not quite warm enough. I have a great summer setup for him but early spring, late fall, and all of winter it will be far less than ideal.

I think the real mismatch is their condition in the wild, the sulcata slow down period happens when the weather is too hot, I'd be having Bowser go through his slow down in the cold. I really should have considered a tortoise that matches a cold slowdown period from the start. Instead of both of us battling this unideal condition for the rest of both of our lives I think he would be happier in a better climate.

In the aquarium hobby there is the "Responsible Fishkeepers Manifesto" (linked below) and I try to let this be my guide for any pet I keep.
http://aquariumprosmn.com/2009/11/the-responsible-fishkeepers-manifesto/
Looking at #1, I feel that Bowsers general quality of life, at least when he gets bigger, will reach a level I'm not willing to accept for him and that it's best for me to re-home him now.

RTAYLOR540

5 Year Member
@TheDukeAnumber1 so I spoke with my fiancé and with the wedding coming up soon we agreed it's not a good time to take in another. I hope that someone else agrees to give Bowser a warm home and best of luck to you! Sorry we aren't able to help!

TheDukeAnumber1

Bowser is still very much available and free to a good home. If possible I'm thinking this thread would be better suited if moved too the Adoptions section.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the real mismatch is their condition in the wild, the sulcata slow down period happens when the weather is too hot,

There is no "slow down" period for wild sulcatas. This is another incorrect assumption that was made decades ago and then repeated often. Temperatures never get too hot in their underground tunnel systems and they drag their own food down there at the end of the rainy season.

TheDukeAnumber1

Bowser went to dbsneed69 in Tennessee, I mailed him on Monday and he got there on Tuesday morning. Dennis was really good at getting back to my emails but atm I've sent him 3 emails in 4 days and he hasn't responded and I haven't heard from him since I mailed Bowser. I'm really worried for Bowser, I hope he is ok.

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
Bowser went to dbsneed69 in Tennessee, I mailed him on Monday and he got there on Tuesday morning. Dennis was really good at getting back to my emails but atm I've sent him 3 emails in 4 days and he hasn't responded and I haven't heard from him since I mailed Bowser. I'm really worried for Bowser, I hope he is ok.
Oh man that would be tough. Did Dennis confirm receiving Bowser? Is he a member on here? Maybe we can tag him @dbsneed69

TheDukeAnumber1

He is a member here. I confirmed with him that someone would be there to receive Bowser but I haven't heard from him since.

TheDukeAnumber1

He just replied to a forum PM, he said his reply emails got caught up in his drafts but Bowser is doing well and that he would send me a video and some pictures. As soon as I see the pic and video I'll be happy, hopefully he will get around to it soon.

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
He just replied to a forum PM, he said his reply emails got caught up in his drafts but Bowser is doing well and that he would send me a video and some pictures. As soon as I see the pic and video I'll be happy, hopefully he will get around to it soon.
Great, keep us posted!