4 month old eastern Herman's

MJ88

Location (City and/or State)
Falkirk, scotland
Just got a 4 month old last thursday but noticed he just digs into the corner down as far as he goes and sleeps until i wake him up hes sleeping almost 20+ hours a day ive been soaking him daily hes got fresh food the temp under his lamp is 31c and at the cooler end of the den 20c is this normal for them this young? My first tort so any advice would be appreciated👍

MJ88

Falkirk, scotland
Heres his den!

Attachments

• 01017ECA-A1BC-4147-B9EA-93DAEB5556FB.jpeg
    01017ECA-A1BC-4147-B9EA-93DAEB5556FB.jpeg
    637.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1422B240-625B-4C57-8B9C-A5AB5E4B68ED.jpeg
    1422B240-625B-4C57-8B9C-A5AB5E4B68ED.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Super adorable! I'll let much more knowledgeable people than I answer, but you need an enclosed chamber for babies. Too much humidity escapes open topped ones...

What diet are you feeing them?

make sure to read that link I included

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just got a 4 month old last thursday but noticed he just digs into the corner down as far as he goes and sleeps until i wake him up hes sleeping almost 20+ hours a day ive been soaking him daily hes got fresh food the temp under his lamp is 31c and at the cooler end of the den 20c is this normal for them this young? My first tort so any advice would be appreciated👍
Given the circumstances, that is fairly normal. Your temps are too cool, it is winter, and he's in a new and unfamiliar area.

Read the thread that SinLA left for you, and there is a care sheet at the bottom of it. You have almost certainly gotten the wrong products and wrong care advice from a pet shop. You may be using the wrong bulbs too.

Along with the thread and the care sheet, this one might also lend some insight due to your species, season and climate:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ive got an 80w combi bulb but i cant seem to get it to balance out the temp in his den
Those are mercury vapor bulbs and should not be used. They cause pyramiding and their UV levels can be extremely erratic from zero to an eye burning UVI of 30 that we saw in a recent case.

At the end of the thread linked by SinLA is a breakdown of the four types of lighting and heating needed and how to use them. One bulb doesn't get it done, as you are seeing.

MJ88

Falkirk, scotland
Got a pro t5 uv tube 12% and a 100w heatbulb for him now hopefully that is better than my mercury bulb!