Is my baby geppetto ok?

Jord&Geppetto

Hi I'm very new to this and have only had my year old hermanns (geppetto) just over a week.
I was just worried because he sleeps all the time n iv had to wake him up every time, If I don't he'll just keep sleeping. He also hasn't eaten much! He had a big munch two days ago and hasn't really eaten since then. He sometimes goes into the cool bit of his table n digs down n sleeps but also likes to dig down in the corner under the uv and heat lamp (which worries me). The cool side of the table is usually at 80f and the basking temp at 95-105f.

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Hi and welcome. Where do you live. Do you have pictures of him and his enclosure. He is new and needs time to adjust. Do you soak him? What type of light bulbs do you have?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ouch 105 he is way to hot, temps are usually the reason why they are less active, to cold, or hot. In this case he is to warm, with no real place to cool himself down when he needs to. Adjust those temps ASAP.

Jord&Geppetto

Hi I live in blackpool in a caravan the heatings always on so it never cold. Yeah Iv read a few things that says to soak him so I do that once a day. The bulbs are a reptile uvb 150 13w and a 75w heat bulb sold to me with geppetto.

20150221_134510.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). They do need some time to adjust to their new home. It seems older ones take more time. @HermanniChris may be able to give some advice. Pictures of your set up would help

Jord&Geppetto

Ouch 105 he is way to hot, temps are usually the reason why they are less active, to cold, or hot. In this case he is to warm, with no real place to cool himself down when he needs to. Adjust those temps ASAP.
Well I seen that it's to hot but if he was why would he sleep under it? I have moved the bulb higher n it's temp is about 95-98

Last edited:

Jord&Geppetto

Thank you for your replys iv spent the last week reading everyone's comments on other people's but there's loads of different type of replys so thought best way is to ask myself.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, theres lots of info and general warnings for folks to NOT use CFL type bulbs in their tort enclosures. Your UVB bulb appears to be a CFL, and might be another reason he's hiding away. Theres also lots of info to not use those alfalfa rabbit pellets as substrate.

Jord&Geppetto

Greetings, theres lots of info and general warnings for folks to NOT use CFL type bulbs in their tort enclosures. Your UVB bulb appears to be a CFL, and might be another reason he's hiding away. Theres also lots of info to not use those alfalfa rabbit pellets as substrate.
Thanks for commenting. It's really annoying cuss everything I got was from the pet shop that sold me him!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm going to be honest, and pick on you just a little, but please don't take it the wrong way. It's constructive criticism meant to help your tortoise. Because you're new to the hobby, you didn't know, and you took the word of the pet shop. They are in business to sell things and make money. Most of them don't really know what tortoises need to live happy, healthy lives.

The tort table you bought is a fairly good size for the size of your tortoise, so that much is quite ok. Get rid of the pellets in the hiding part of the table and put something in there that you can moisten. Sphagnum moss is good because he can burrow into it.

The little section of rocks in the corner really don't serve any purpose except for taking up space. Buy some fake plants and use them instead.

The waterer is good, but could stand to be slightly bigger, but it's quite ok for now.

Get a tile or rough piece of flat stone to use as a feeder. They scrape their beak on the stone and it helps keep the beak in shape.

The coco coir (I'm assuming that's what your substrate is) is a very good substrate. You can moisten it to be more like the earth.

Now to the lights, oh my...the lights!!! Like was said above, don't use the spiral-shaped bulb. And as for the light holder, although I do appreciate them making a light stand attached to the tort table, it's in the totally wrong place. It allows you to only warm up one end of the habitat. Is there a way to remove it and place it in the middle? If not, then try to figure out a way to hang a light over the middle of that table. You will also need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) over the hiding place for night time, to keep it warm at night. Your baby will get a respiratory infection if you allow him to get cold (and normal house temperature is COLD) at night. You want your baby to be about 80F all the time. As he gets bigger you can allow a drop in temp at night, but while he's a baby, keep him warm.

So...now that I've thoroughly confused you, read the care sheet that's pinned at the top of the Hermann's section. It's a good one and will help you to give your baby the best care and a good start in life.

Jord&Geppetto

I'm going to be honest, and pick on you just a little, but please don't take it the wrong way. It's constructive criticism meant to help your tortoise. Because you're new to the hobby, you didn't know, and you took the word of the pet shop. They are in business to sell things and make money. Most of them don't really know what tortoises need to live happy, healthy lives.

The tort table you bought is a fairly good size for the size of your tortoise, so that much is quite ok. Get rid of the pellets in the hiding part of the table and put something in there that you can moisten. Sphagnum moss is good because he can burrow into it.

The little section of rocks in the corner really don't serve any purpose except for taking up space. Buy some fake plants and use them instead.

The waterer is good, but could stand to be slightly bigger, but it's quite ok for now.

Get a tile or rough piece of flat stone to use as a feeder. They scrape their beak on the stone and it helps keep the beak in shape.

The coco coir (I'm assuming that's what your substrate is) is a very good substrate. You can moisten it to be more like the earth.

Now to the lights, oh my...the lights!!! Like was said above, don't use the spiral-shaped bulb. And as for the light holder, although I do appreciate them making a light stand attached to the tort table, it's in the totally wrong place. It allows you to only warm up one end of the habitat. Is there a way to remove it and place it in the middle? If not, then try to figure out a way to hang a light over the middle of that table. You will also need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) over the hiding place for night time, to keep it warm at night. Your baby will get a respiratory infection if you allow him to get cold (and normal house temperature is COLD) at night. You want your baby to be about 80F all the time. As he gets bigger you can allow a drop in temp at night, but while he's a baby, keep him warm.

So...now that I've thoroughly confused you, read the care sheet that's pinned at the top of the Hermann's section. It's a good one and will help you to give your baby the best care and a good start in life.
Thanks the criticism is welcome I would rather be told what to do so I can help my littlen. Ok will remove the pellets and move the lights to the middle of the table. Shall I get rid of the hiding part and get a log for him to sleep under so the whole table stays warm? I will get new bulbs is the uv and heat combined bulb better?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

Good to have you here. Spend some time read as much as thread/post you can in this forum you will be very quickly catching up with the knowledge and know-how.

Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I do like the Mercury Vapor Bulb for that reason - heat and UVB all in one bulb. If you remove the hiding part it will give the little guy more floor space. Quite a few of us get by with only a half log or something like that for a shelter.

Jord&Geppetto

I do like the Mercury Vapor Bulb for that reason - heat and UVB all in one bulb. If you remove the hiding part it will give the little guy more floor space. Quite a few of us get by with only a half log or something like that for a shelter.
Cool will be Deffo getting a MVB and I was thinking about getting rid of the hiding place, thought it was to big of a space for a hidy hole n must be cold at night. Is a CHE the best way to keep them warm at night.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Ok, you definitely need to read the care sheet I've written at the top of this forum and also please visit my Hermann's site hermannihaven.com

Welcome and you seem to have a beautiful little Eastern Hermann's there. The advice you're being given so far is all correct. The CFL must go asap and your basking temp as already stated, must come down to around 90-95F tops. Your ambient temps are fine but make sure he cools down at night into the mid to high 60s-low 70s. Hermann's must be cool at night. No "pampering" making sure he is warm at night. The pellets have to go and you need to keep up with the coconut coir. Make it deep enough (4" or more) for adequate burrowing. It can be mixed with top soil to create a more natural substance. Members of the T. hermanni species complex burrow very often and it is nothing less then normal. Burrowing under the light is also normal because they are trying to get to a warm humid area. In nature, these tortoises are programed to hide as much as possible until they are of a more substantial size and less vulnerable to predators. Just because your tortoise is in captivity does NOT mean he doesn't have instinct and he will continue to exercise that instinct in different ways throughout his life. They must be allowed to burrow whenever they want, but it keeping a close eye on humidity and temperature levels is a must to be sure he isn't uncomfortable and trying to escape them if they are unfit. Moisture is extremely important with this species. This is why the pellet bedding must go immediately. These tortoises seek out the moisture within their substrate and underneath debris in nature. Often times, youngsters are found in the wild clustered together under the same debris such as a piece of wood, log or litter. Their shells are wet in the morning from the moisture and they will dry off as they venture out for a little while. After only a short period of time, they will return to a hiding place or dig into the ground and may or may not come up again later in the day. A basic rule of thumb is to make sure the substrate never fully dries out. Only the very top of it can be allowed to dry. The rest needs to stay moist.

Hope this helps.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the :tort: forum.

Tortoises do take time to adapt to a new place, new environment, new everything. Plus, finding the appropriate temperature for these :<3: cute little animals is important. Good luck!