3 toe turtle

leopard777

5 Year Member
is this a normal 3-toe turtle behaviour ? flipping itself this way

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
That was a very interesting video, thanks for sharing it. I do big to differ with the announcer though, box turtles are not vegetarian and they sure to heck aren't vegan :) other than that I think it is wonderful that he's being used as a therapy animal. I don't think flipping on his back is a normal thing to do but he also doesn't seem to be bothered by it. I have a feeling the guy did a lot of hand feeding because that turtle is focused on his fingers as bad as my Russian does when I have cactus :) but I think he has definitely learned tricks. and it was pretty darn cute I must admit. I especially liked the waves. Anytime animals are used for therapy I think it can be a very good thing. I had a cat that I used to take to the hospital, he would stay all day and stay with the patient who needed him. Or the doctors etc. he was definitely a unique cat, put up with stuff that no other cat would. people respond to animals when they are hurting physically or emotionally. Sometimes it's the only thing they respond to.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Some people say it is not right to say that animals have emotions but I do not buy that at all. there is more and more research coming out every day with different types of animals that show that they have self-awareness and emotions similar to humans. That turtle is responding to that man's voice and just years and is not scared of him. he is used to people, not every turtle would put up with kids. I think it is safe to say that that turtle "likes" the man.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For some unknown reason my speakers don't work anymore, so I couldn't hear the commentary, however, those people haven't got a clue. The poor turtle is looking for food. Plus his beak is so overgrown he wouldn't be able to bite off bits of plant material or tear a worm in two. I've seen this video before and it makes me mad for people to treat a turtle like that and not understand why the poor turtle is doing what it's doing.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
For some unknown reason my speakers don't work anymore, so I couldn't hear the commentary, however, those people haven't got a clue. The poor turtle is looking for food. Plus his beak is so overgrown he wouldn't be able to bite off bits of plant material or tear a worm in two. I've seen this video before and it makes me mad for people to treat a turtle like that and not understand why the poor turtle is doing what it's doing.
I think The man knows exactly why the turtle is doing that. He is the one who "trained" it in the first place. They just don't say it. and yes his beak was very overgrown. It is obvious that the turtle is looking for food, and when people are not around that's how he is "trained" to do those things. but I still think that the man and the turtle were "bonded and "as much as a person and a turtle czn be.

leopard777

5 Year Member
odd he mention he goes to a vet to have it trim , its 28 years old , the subtitle is provided there

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
odd he mention he goes to a vet to have it trim , its 28 years old , the subtitle is provided there
It seems the vet needs to get a little closer to the turtle next time he trims the beak:) Ethan I can tell it was too long. I hope he was just saying that the turtle is a vegetarian home to fit into the sponsors agenda. I hope he gives the poor thing some animal protein. Are insects :)