3 Questions: UVB Light, Bath Depth, and Keeping Beak Short

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
Hello:

I am three questions about my brand new, today purchased, cherry-head baby.

I am using ReptiSun 10 fluorescent (long, not twisty) bulb. It is right beside the basking spot lamp and over about 3/4 of the complete enclosure. How far should it be from the ground?

How deep and warm should her bath be?

Also, I have a cuttlebone for the little girl. Is there anything else I can do to keep her beak short? I would like to avoid using a Dremel if at all possible.

Thank you

theelectraco

5 Year Member
12"-18" max.

For soaks, I do usually 1/3 the way up the shell, enough they are comfortable still, and I use water that's warm to the touch but not hot.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Sorry if I bumped an old thread, but I have a similar question regarding basking except without the artificial UV light.

May I know the appropriate time to allow our tortoise basking naturally under sunlight? I am keeping my tortoise indoor and somehow the UV light is not functional (will be replaced soon), so is there any specific time that efficient to allow my tortoise absorbing the UV from sunlight?

Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Two of your questions were answered in the first reply. Feed on a piece of flat rock or tiller to keep beak trimmed.

Hybrid said:
Sorry if I bumped an old thread, but I have a similar question regarding basking except without the artificial UV light.

May I know the appropriate time to allow our tortoise basking naturally under sunlight? I am keeping my tortoise indoor and somehow the UV light is not functional (will be replaced soon), so is there any specific time that efficient to allow my tortoise absorbing the UV from sunlight?

Thank you!

About 3 hours a week would be good. Now don't forget, they need shade and if the temps are too hot, spray the area a couple times with water to cool it down a little.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hybrid said:

Thank you!

Build an appropriate safe outdoor enclosure and leave your tortoise out there for a few hours a day. It should be well planted with lots of shade, bushes, hiding spots and trees. Watch the temps and use misters or sprinklers to cool as needed. Much of your enclosure design and temperature control needs will depend on your species, tortoise's age, climate and season. Where are you and what species and age are we talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.