Beak and claw trimming - Leopard.

Bev Reeve-Robinson

Hi all. Does anyone have some tips for trimming beaks and claws? In particular back claws? I'm relatively new to this although I've trimmed our torts beak once, and have always been our pet claw trimmer (cat, rat, ferret, iguana, etc). I've seen someone use a Dremel to file down the beak, I don't think I'm quite at that stage yet, the beak isn't as long or thick to need that so I think my usual clippers will go through safely. How long should I leave the beak? I'm most concerned about how to trim some rather overgrown back claws. Last thing I want to do is hurt them, but you really can't see the quick (which is why I've been putting of trimming them, probably why they've gotten overgrown if I'm honest). Any tips or tricks very gratefully recieved. I would normally go to our vet of course, but travelling has been a bit of an issue as he's more than 36 miles away and I really don't trust any local vets.

Bev x (with Pie and Pastie)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you post a pic of the nails and beak. Some times people think they need to be trimmed when they really don't. Their nails are long to begin with. Not shorter like dogs and cats. A flat hard surface such as a piece of tile or flat rock used as a feeding dish will help keep both nails and beak filed down. As adding flat rocks for them to walk on.
Please post those pics. If the nails do need trimming, just take the tip off like no more then an 1/8 of an inch.

Bev Reeve-Robinson

Ooh yes, that might help, lol. Ok, their lamp is off for the night now, so I'll snap some tomorrow. Many thanks.

Bev x

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The beak can be trimmed better if you place your Leopards food on a flat tile ( it's worked for me and my leopards for 17 years )
And don't forget cactus will help to keep the beak growth slowed down cause it's tough .

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Those beaks definitely need to be trimmed, but the nails don't look too bad to me. Just take tiny bits off the beaks with a nail clipper.

Bev Reeve-Robinson

Oh, ok, so beaks need trimming, but the claws are ok. Will do. Does anyone have the species or latin name for a safe cactus for my guys? Maybe I could find one from a garden center?