2mo Sulcata Tortoise Shell Growth: normal?

Madkathq

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Elsinore
My little one has spots on her she'll that look like watermarks. Is this normal? She made her way onto a welcome mat for this photo.Snapchat-18081285.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like the tortoise had a dry start, but that you've corrected the situation.

I don't see the water marks. If hard water stains are an issue, I'd use regular tap water for soaking and drinking, and then rinse the tortoise and spray the shell with distilled, RO, or rainwater to eliminate the mineral deposits from normal water. I have a sprayer and I give them all a quick rinse with collected rain water after each soak.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
Looks like the tortoise had a dry start, but that you've corrected the situation.

I don't see the water marks. If hard water stains are an issue, I'd use regular tap water for soaking and drinking, and then rinse the tortoise and spray the shell with distilled, RO, or rainwater to eliminate the mineral deposits from normal water. I have a sprayer and I give them all a quick rinse with collected rain water after each soak.
Ah I use drinking water 90% of the time to make sure it's quality. That's for the expert opinion :) and your observation is correct. She was in a dry environment for almost her whole first month (poor baby)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ah I use drinking water 90% of the time to make sure it's quality. That's for the expert opinion :) and your observation is correct. She was in a dry environment for almost her whole first month (poor baby)
New growth looks much better now. It appears you are doing a good job.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If you're referring to the little squiggly lines in the pale area of each scute, they have been discussed many times.

Do a search of the forum for "little squiggly white lines".

Or I can save you a bunch of time, and tell you nobody knows what they are or why they're there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you're referring to the little squiggly lines in the pale area of each scute, they have been discussed many times.

Do a search of the forum for "little squiggly white lines".

Or I can save you a bunch of time, and tell you nobody knows what they are or why they're there.
I didn't see the squiggly lines the first time around. Good eye.