24 in. tall too tall?

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Hey guys so my mom found a lady who's selling a 90g tank that's about 48x18x24 inches and i told her i wanted it until i found out that it was 24 in. Tall not wide so i turned it down which was hard cuz she only wanted $80 for it. And i just wanted to make sure that i was right about turning it down because i figured 2 feet tall was much too tall right? If it is i've seen a tank that has the same dimensions but in a different way (if that makes sense) it 48 in long x 24 in wide x 16 in tall. And i was wondering if this would be a nice size for a redfoot about 5-6 in. long?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
24" tall isn't bad at all. Especially if you want to cover it into a closed chamber. This would easily house all your heat sources inside of a lid.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
My mom is just really paranoid about putting lights inside the enclosure other wise i would tell her the height is alright and we should get it.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
It's the 18" width that's narrow.
I was thinking about that also because i have an idea for a burrow like hide i plan on putting in his new enclosure but i want it in the corner next to his water dish (i already have his enclosure planned out i just need to find one lol) and the burrow and the dish would be too wide to fit next to eachother in an 18 wide tank. But would the other 48x24x16 be a decent size for a while? Thanks

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I think it's workable.

I've heard of people splicing two aquariums together by carefully removing one wall of each & using silicon to attach them.

I find that whatever size habitat I build or buy, I still wish it were twice the size.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
I was thinking about putting my (unfortunately) small tank on it's side in the larger one, creating a nice humid area inside and maybe a basking area on top. But this tall tank is just not wide enough for that. But i'll reconsider cuz it is a good price and it comes with a stand and some decor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wouldn't use it for anything other than a tiny brand new hatchling. Too small for anything else. It is WAY too small for a 6" red foot. 48x24" is too small too. You need to be thinking in the 4x8' size range for a tortoise that size.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
O sorry i was thinking wrong i guess. Well, back to thinking it is. But thanks for that advice though

doletorts

10 Year Member!
I would love to have a closed chamber but my mom is to afraid of lights falling