2018 Incubation Experiment

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
At last year's TTPG conference one of the speakers talked about better hatch rates coupled with bigger and healthier babies when he incubated his aquatic turtle eggs on some sort of acidic substrate instead of something inert like vermiculite. He used peat moss and explained that the acids in the decomposing moss dissolved the calcium in the egg shell making it more bio-avaialble to the baby, allowing more oxygen into the egg during the end stages of incubation, and making it easier to hatch since the egg shell walls were thinner.

@Markw84 and I both had the same ideas about it, and we wondered if the same thing would apply to tortoise eggs. Mark brought this up in another thread a few days ago and it reminded me that I wanted to try it. In addition to Mark, I think this experiment will be of interest to @Sterant @HermanniChris @kingsley and @Will too.

My 60 pound female sulcata, Daisy, lays pretty large clutches. Frequently more than 30 and her record last year was 42 in one clutch. She's also a favorite of my male, Tuck, and she has high fertility and high hatch rates. This clutch was laid on 3/18/18 and consisted of 32 eggs. 4 eggs were dimpled, all others were perfect. Good shell formation and consistent large size. As I dug the eggs up, I put them in order in the large egg flat. Once the egg boxes were set up, I put every other egg in each box so that there would be a relatively even distribution of eggs from the top, middle, and bottom of the nest in each egg box. 16 eggs per box. One box will be incubated in my usual style on fine vermiculite with a 1 : 1 water to vermiculite ratio by weight. Eggs are sunk about 2/3 to 3/4 into the vermiculite. The other box has about half the normal amount of vermiculite to maintain the normal moisture ratio and the other half is lightly dampened "organic" peat moss with no additives of any kind. The eggs in this box are in contact with the peat only and not touching the vermiculite on bottom.

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5068.JPG

IMG_5070.JPG

The eggs will be placed on top of each other on the same shelf in my large circulating air incubator.
IMG_5071.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

The eggs are already showing significant chalking, and we will have answers around mid June.

Comments and questions are welcome. :)

Bambam1989

East Texas
Oh my that really would be something! Im pretty confident that mine will exceed the 400gram mark before the end of this month and I thought that was some pretty vigorous growth..
I love the idea of this working for other types of torts too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you planning on keeping these hatchlings for a couple months to see the outcome?
Yes. I usually keep hatchlings for two months. I like to get them started well, eating a wide variety of foods and I want to see some good growth before I send them to their new homes. In the case of this experiment, I might even hold on to some of them a bit longer to really give things a chance to either equalize after hatching, or demonstrate an even greater difference over a longer term.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh my that really would be something! Im pretty confident that mine will exceed the 400gram mark before the end of this month and I thought that was some pretty vigorous growth..
I love the idea of this working for other types of torts too.
Amazing how well things can go when it is done right. When I started raising sulcatas and other species in this monsoon season style, which is what they hatch into in the wild, one of the things that was used as an argument against what I was doing was that it was "un-natural". Looking back, I find it interesting how wrong they were, and how monumentally un-natural their dry methods really were.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I had the Manouria here I had a bad gnat problem with my eggs. The gnat maggots even ate through the egg shells. So I tried different mediums, peat moss being one. All the eggs in that batch rotted.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
When I had the Manouria here I had a bad gnat problem with my eggs. The gnat maggots even ate through the egg shells. So I tried different mediums, peat moss being one. All the eggs in that batch rotted.
Yeah - I guess that's the balance. The acid has to be just right to partially dissolve the egg over the incubation period, but not before.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Really like the experiment and that you have a proven good female to give you a nice sampling of "identical" eggs for each method.

I have a clutch of sulcata eggs from a young female that has had low fertility with last year's eggs. I have gone this way with her first clutch this year. I did mix 50:50 peat moss vermiculite completely instead of just peat moss alone on top. Your test will be much more telling as you have a known producer for the eggs. My clutch is from Feb 9 and do look really good so far.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah - I guess that's the balance. The acid has to be just right to partially dissolve the egg over the incubation period, but not before.

The theory is not as much about acidity but the observation that humic substances (Organic like peat moss) actually chelates calcium. This bonds an amino acid with the calcium for motility and is a form the calcium can take that some evidence shows is much more useable by the body. For example, calcium supplements are avaialbe in different forms - calcium citrate, chelated calcium, etc.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
The theory is not as much about acidity but the observation that humic substances (Organic like peat moss) actually chelates calcium. This bonds an amino acid with the calcium for motility and is a form the calcium can take that some evidence shows is much more useable by the body. For example, calcium supplements are avaialbe in different forms - calcium citrate, chelated calcium, etc.
Ok Got it. Does this have the physical effect of breaking down the structure of the egg as well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok Got it. Does this have the physical effect of breaking down the structure of the egg as well?
According to the presenter, yes.

And given what we just learned from @HermanniChris and his sanding of the egg shell, I would love to go to South Africa where Chersina occur and test the soil where they lay for acidity. I wonder if we could get @CarolM or @JeannineD to help us with that. We have soil test kits here in the states. I wonder if they have them available in the RSA?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

The calcium in the eggshell is a source of calcium for the developing embryo. There is a limited amount of calcium the yolk can carry. Less than a fully developed hatchling requires. The observations and studies have shown that as the calcium is utilized, the eggshell does thin substantially, which in at least some species, aids in the ability of the hatchling to break through the egg. Measuring average weights of hatchling, and weights of the eggshell after hatching, have shown a substantial difference in hatchling size and corresponding decrease in eggshell mass. The eggshells are much thinner and lighter. The environment we put an incubating egg in seems to be able to either augment calcium uptake, or retard it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Kelly Hull @tortadise and my incubation set up for Manouria eggs would suggest this is a huge difference. The talk was regarding south American aquatic species that live in areas where plant acids are very abundant everywhere. A stronger already look-ed at aspect might be any indication as to where red foots and yellow foots may favor for egg laying within the Amazon basin.

I don't know if there is a more common location for sulcata to lay eggs than other places within the larger habitat where they live. North American tortoise species will lay at or in the burrow mouth for climate control of the eggs, and though I did not look I'd have to imagine some one somewhere has evaluated the soil's physical conditions as well as the climate of the burrow.

Many field works in Australia have many parameters observed and recorded, but they are all aquatic side necks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kelly Hull @tortadise and my incubation set up for Manouria eggs would suggest this is a huge difference. The talk was regarding south American aquatic species that live in areas where plant acids are very abundant everywhere. A stronger already look-ed at aspect might be any indication as to where red foots and yellow foots may favor for egg laying within the Amazon basin.

I don't know if there is a more common location for sulcata to lay eggs than other places within the larger habitat where they live. North American tortoise species will lay at or in the burrow mouth for climate control of the eggs, and though I did not look I'd have to imagine some one somewhere has evaluated the soil's physical conditions as well as the climate of the burrow.

Many field works in Australia have many parameters observed and recorded, but they are all aquatic side necks.
What are you guys doing for your Manouria? What incubation media? What are the results? Tell me more!!!

I'm using this type of peat moss because it is what I could find. I intend to duplicate this experiment with the next clutch using long fibered sphagnum moss. Any thoughts? Any tips for how to improve the quality of the experiment?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
According to the presenter, yes.

And given what we just learned from @HermanniChris and his sanding of the egg shell, I would love to go to South Africa where Chersina occur and test the soil where they lay for acidity. I wonder if we could get @CarolM or @JeannineD to help us with that. We have soil test kits here in the states. I wonder if they have them available in the RSA?
The research paper that lead to Chris sanding the eggs stated that when Chersina retain eggs, which develop internally, then are oviposited within a couple weeks of hatching - the shells are much thinner. It was suggested that the shells of retained eggs were shelled thinner to allow for oxygen diffusion inside the body of the mother where oxygen was less available. Perhaps the deposited eggs are thinner because the calcium was used during development, and not because of an oxygen requirement, or at least not ONLY an oxygen requirement. Is the internal chemistry of Chersina acidic?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The research paper that lead to Chris sanding the eggs stated that when Chersina retain eggs, which develop internally, then are oviposited within a couple weeks of hatching - the shells are much thinner. It was suggested that the shells of retained eggs were shelled thinner to allow for oxygen diffusion inside the body of the mother where oxygen was less available. Perhaps the deposited eggs are thinner because the calcium was used during development, and not because of an oxygen requirement, or at least not ONLY an oxygen requirement. Is the internal chemistry of Chersina acidic?

I know that the human urinary tract is supposed to have an acidic pH. When it doesn't, problems ensue. I have no idea what the pH of the oviduct in a Chersina would be, but I'd be curious to find out. I suspect there are mechanisms at work here that we don't know about.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know that the human urinary tract is supposed to have an acidic pH. When it doesn't, problems ensue. I have no idea what the pH of the oviduct in a Chersina would be, but I'd be curious to find out. I suspect there are mechanisms at work here that we don't know about.
Agree. Lots we don't know.

My thoughts are not as much about acidity but the chelating effects of humic substances. Certainly the insides of a tortoise are organic material. How about the mucus deposited with tortoise eggs whlie laying? Or the observation that most nests I've dug up contain some fecal matter the mother seems to deposit in the chamber? All could contribute to chelation and calcium mobilization as well as establishing microbes for gut flora when the hatchlings emerge. How much we change that balance when we artificially incubate is worth investigating.

The thinning of the eggshell also would seem to aid in respriation / gas exchange in the egg and as an embryo grows, that need would increase. The growth uses calcium and we have a relationship between oxygen need and eggshell thinning. The more the calcium is used, the thinner the eggshell should be and the larger the embryo and its gas exchange needs.

In his talk at the TTPG and experiments, Dave also investigated the water chemistry and how it effects the intitial "setting" of the embryo to begin development. That brought into play Ph and total alkalinity. That also seemed to offer a strong relationship to split scutes. But that is a whole different line of investigation. That of course is more apparently of concern with aquatics, and in his case, Amazonian chelonians. But his experiements were on N American aquatics and quite remarkable.