2 year old sulcata pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcthacker

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! I always like to compare my sulcata tort to others of the same age. So I've include a picture of my two year old. If anyone has a similar aged tort, it would be awesome of you'd reply with a photo of yours.

Cheers,

Kevin

Attachments

• image-2779963274.png
    image-2779963274.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 566
  • image-320386219.png
    image-320386219.png
    1 MB · Views: 632

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
My 14 month old Cooper is 10 inch's and around 6 lbs now.
IMG_20120413_203800-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ch4r13s

5 Year Member
Hi,

What is the size and weight now? It's hard to compare based on the picture I bet for those with 2yo...

Thanks

Kcthacker

5 Year Member
Well mine is a little bit on the small side, but it is about 4 inches and I actually haven't weighted it in quite a while so I'm not sure about hat

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Let us know what yours weighs in at when you have time. Cooper is on the very large size for some reason. I just hope he has no bad long term problems from growing so big so fast. It worries me a lot so I constantly check him out to make sure I don't see or hear anything abnormal. Have a good day! :)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Nice, My sulcata just turned one hes around 4-5 inches

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
This is Franklin. He's about 18 months old (I'm guessing bc the ppl I got him from said he was a yr and I've had him 6 mos) and his shell is 6.5in and he weighs 1lb 12oz. He literally doubled in size in the time that I've had him; he was 12oz!

I forgot to add, our babies look like twins!!

Attachments

• image-2852448641.png
    image-2852448641.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 253
  • image-4063520369.png
    image-4063520369.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 296

Kcthacker

5 Year Member
Great, thanks for all the replies. I officially measured Persius today and he is 4.5 inches long and 300 g

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I didn't read everybody else's post. With that being said, you need coconut/coir as the substrate, and you need to increase the humidity of the enclosure. You can tell when looking at your photos that each plate on the carapace is growing into a pyramid, you need to work on making each growth smooth so the pyramids stop and spread out. Make sure you give a warm bath for at least 15 minutes daily, and switch to a substrate that holds more moisture.

Kcthacker

5 Year Member
Livingstone said:
I didn't read everybody else's post. With that being said, you need coconut/coir as the substrate, and you need to increase the humidity of the enclosure. You can tell when looking at your photos that each plate on the carapace is growing into a pyramid, you need to work on making each growth smooth so the pyramids stop and spread out. Make sure you give a warm bath for at least 15 minutes daily, and switch to a substrate that holds more moisture.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. He/she gets warms baths like you suggested but I will change the substrate to coconut coir. Could this be the reason mine is smaller than most other 2 year old sulcatas?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Coconut coir is a substrate that many of us like because of it's ability to hold moisture. It is but one of the techniques for keeping the humidity high in their enclosures. Keeping young tortoises hydrated and moist helps them to grow smooth. I don't believe that coconut coir has much to do with your tortoise's growth rate. Tortoises grow a different rates. I think that growing them healthy is more important than their actual size. That being said, a healthy sulcata will eat and grow, and grow, and grow......It would help to see pictures of the enclosure and have a description of how you care for this youngster. Then we could offer some suggestions to help you out.

If you haven't done so, it would be good to take a fecal sample to a local Vet to get tested for parasites. This would eliminate the possibility that he is being robbed of the very nurients that he needs to grow. Usually it doesn't require a trip to the Vet.

Kcthacker

5 Year Member
I will have to post pictures later but the little guy is in a 55 gallon glass tank with ventilated circles on each side of aquarium. The substrate is a mixture of cypress mulch and coconut coir. He/she has a small water dish (big enough for it the get into if it wants). As for lighting/heating, I have a heat lamp keeping basking spot of 100 or so, a UVB bulb on the same side which stay on half the day, and a red light heat lamp in the middle of the enclosure which stays on 24 hrs.

Kcthacker

5 Year Member
Here is the enclosure

Attachments

• image-403303504.png
    image-403303504.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 186
  • image-2118492862.png
    image-2118492862.png
    257.3 KB · Views: 144

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Covering your tank's lid with aluminum foil (lights and all) with lots of frequent misting will help the humidity. Do you have a humidity gauge? I keep Frank on coco coir (I used to use mixture of topsoil and cypress mulch) and have the humidity at 50-80%. When I got him he was starting to pyramid as well, but the benefits of humidity that I learned about here on the forum have made all the difference. He's been getting smooth ever since

netz67

5 Year Member
u.k
hi
i am new and also have sulcata's mine will be 4 in october and november , their weights are very varied the smallest is 200g & the largest 849g , glad to hear i'm not the only one with fluctuations :)

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
^^^^ With more than 1 tortoise, you have a bullying issue where the smallest is not getting enough food. Try to separate if possible when feeding so they can all get a good amount of food.

Linzbragg said:
Covering your tank's lid with aluminum foil (lights and all) with lots of frequent misting will help the humidity.

That will probably make it too hot. You will cook the tortoise to death. The animal needs more room. That tank is preventing it from exercising and trapping in all the heat, kind of like living in a sauna.

I often use this photo as an "ideal" enclosure for a yearling. I used it up until livingstone was 2.5 years old, now its his night time indoor enclosure or his place of sanctuary when the temps go above 95.
enclosure-setup2.jpg

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Kcthacker said:
Hey everyone! I always like to compare my sulcata tort to others of the same age. So I've include a picture of my two year old. If anyone has a similar aged tort, it would be awesome of you'd reply with a photo of yours.

Cheers,

Kevin

Looks great! Although I think I see some pyramiding beginning. Soak him every day for 20 minutes in warm (NOT HOT!!!) water.

Status
Not open for further replies.