2 questions, Beak size, and plastron question, Photos Included!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Question 1:

This little guy is just over 1 years old. His platron seems to have a spot that is not "filling" in or growing in. It is not an opening into him, it just doesnt seem to be growing properly. He's eating and behaving normally. Should I leave it be, put neosporin in there (it doesn't look infected at all), or anything else?

Question 2:
This guy is 6-7 inch SCL. My concern here is that his beak may start to be overgrowing. Do you think it is starting to overgrow? Is it still at a point that if I start feeding him on slate it will naturally correct itself?

I really don't want to let it get to the point where I have to "sand" it down.
Sorry, these were the best pictures I could get of it at the time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know what to tell you about the plastron. However, the beak doesn't look too long now, but yes, I would feed him on a flat rock or slate so it stays in good shape.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Just keep an eye on the plastron. Post a shot of the whole plastron so we can see the symmetry/asymmetry.

The beak on the other animal looks perfectly fine.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I will post a shot of his entire plastron when he comes out of his hide next. I do notice when looking from above, that his symmetry isn't as "normal" as it usually is. It is almost like one side isn't growing out like I've seen other redfoots grow.

I can see the part of the plastron that isn't growing smooth (there looks to be a slight gap) because I know where I'm looking. Is it fairly obvious to anyone else the area I am concerned with?

THANKS all!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
mightymizz said:
I will post a shot of his entire plastron when he comes out of his hide next. I do notice when looking from above, that his symmetry isn't as "normal" as it usually is. It is almost like one side isn't growing out like I've seen other redfoots grow.

I can see the part of the plastron that isn't growing smooth (there looks to be a slight gap) because I know where I'm looking. Is it fairly obvious to anyone else the area I am concerned with?

THANKS all!

I can see exactly what you are talking about, but I want to see exactly how asymmetrical it is. So far, it just looks like a developmental quirk and nothing to be alarmed about at this time.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I see what you're getting at about the plastron. It appears as if the anterior edge of the pectoral scute isn't 'spreading' evenly on the outer side. As Baoh mentioned it is likely a growth quirk that will resolve itself in time. A lot of things happen as a tortoise grows and while it might seem unusual to us, they tend to end up developing into perfectly normal adults. If this is a male just wait till his plastron starts to get sucked up---then you'll really freak out.
Do NOT put neosporin on it.

As for the second tortoise, the tip of the beak might be just ever so slightly overgrown. If you offer a cuttle bone to its enclosure it will work that down in no time. Plus, he will get extra calcium in the process.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
THanks so far folks. Here are the pictures of his shell and plastron growth symmetry. If you click the photos and get them to enlarge, you can really see some detail! If needed of course.

Notice how one side is growing like you would normally see with a slight curve to it, while the other is more "straight" instead of curving out.

The left side to me looks more normal, the right side is what I'm calling more "straight"

Here the tort is leaning a touch to his left, but this also shows it somewhat.

Here is a plastron shot that really shows the asymmetry.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Yeah. Just a developmental quirk on a neat little hybrid. It may even out or compensate in overall shape as it grows much larger or it may just drift this way all the way into adulthood. Nothing to be concerned about health-wise, though.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Great thanks for the insight!

I was just hoping that the straight side wasn't "squishing" potential internal growth, especially since the "gap" in the plastron is on the same flat side.

Thanks again all!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It may have always had a slight asymmetry and the size increase may be making it more visually apparent, too. Either way, I would not worry from a health perspective.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
You're right that wouldn't make any sense. :)

Question 2 deals with the Tort's beak. He is 5 or 6 years old at this point. I forget which one off the top of my head. The plastron question deals with a ~1year old who is probably 3 inches SCL, but he also is a little stunted from a period of sickness previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.