15 Yr old Female Chaco looking for breeding partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyChaco

5 Year Member
I am interested in breeding my 15 yr old Chaco. She is a female in excellent health and I live in Pennsylvania. Please contact me if you have an eligible male available. Thanks.Sleepy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hello and welcome! Why don't you take a moment and let us get to know you. How long have you had your Chaco?

SleepyChaco

5 Year Member
My name is Howie. We've had Sleepy, our Chaco for 15 yrs. She was purchased from a pet shop in NYC when she was 8 weeks old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Howie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Chaco tortoises are not very common in the pet industry. I only know of two other people on the forum here who have them. Also, I don't know whether or not you realize it, but your chaco is quite pyramided and might also be suffering from MBD. This is what she should look like:

http://www.chelonia.org/sexing/sexing_geochelone_chilensis.htm

15 years ago, when you first got your tortoise, we were given all the wrong information on how to care for babies. We're just now learning about keeping them in a moist environment in order for them to grow smoothly.

All you can do for your tortoise now, is make sure she has the calcium for strong bones along with the UVB either from the sun or from an expensive UV light that makes the vitamin d3 that helps the calcium to do its job.

Thank you for sharing your picture with us. Your tortoise has a very sweet-looking face.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

I gotta admit... this is the 1st Chaco I've ever seen with the second one being on the link from Emysemys.

Please tell us you DON"T feed him dry cat/dog food...

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
are you sure she is really a she? you should get us a picture of her underside towards the rear like in the link that was provided. How hard is her shell? like a rock or does it have a little give?

SleepyChaco

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! My name is Kim and Im Howies daughter. Thank you all for the positive feedback! And a special thanks to emysemys for all the information! We have done a ton of research lately and we are currently building sleepy a new pen with everything she needs to be happier and healthier. More pics coming soon :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
SleepyChaco said:
Hi everyone!! Im Kim, Howies daughter. Thank you all for the positive feed back! And a special thanks to emysemys for sharing that information with us. Thanks to you we are updating sleepys pen and getting her EVERYTHING she needs to be healthy. We bought sleepy from a pet shop when I was 7, and I am now 29, so she is actually 23 years old. Once everything is updated there will be more pictures to come! :)

Wonderful news! It's really great, when we make comments and suggestions and folks take them in the right way and start to make changes. I know the written word comes off a bit more harshly then just about any other form of communication, so it is so easy for feelings to be hurt. I think we may sometimes come off as snobby mean spirited picky people, when we really are not and don't means to act like we are. We are just all here to try to share and help each other. It tickles me, when somebody actually listens to us and changes things in a way that should better their tortoises lives. Thank you too for letting us know your making changes. I can't wait to see the updates!!

Halcyon

10 Year Member!
Chicago, IL
SleepyChaco said:
Hello everyone! My name is Kim and Im Howies daughter. Thank you all for the positive feedback! And a special thanks to emysemys for all the information! We have done a ton of research lately and we are currently building sleepy a new pen with everything she needs to be happier and healthier. More pics coming soon :)

Yay! :D A Chaco friend on the east coast! Unfortunately Chico is only 10 months old, and I am not even sure its a M/F...

btw, is Sleepy as her name suggests? I find Chico sleeps ALOT, I wonder if that's just kind of their lifestyle..!

SleepyChaco

5 Year Member
Halcyon said:
SleepyChaco said:

Yay! :D A Chaco friend on the east coast! Unfortunately Chico is only 10 months old, and I am not even sure its a M/F...

btw, is Sleepy as her name suggests? I find Chico sleeps ALOT, I wonder if that's just kind of their lifestyle..!

SleepyChaco

5 Year Member
Sleepy3.jpgWe named her Sleepy because she does sleep a lot. I will post a picture of her undersides as suggested so everyone can confirm her sex. Thanks to this site and the wonderful responses, We have upgraded Sleepy's diet and living quarters. She now has a 4' x 5' enclosure to live in. Sleepy is still getting used to her new tank and spends many hours in her huba hut enclosure. To answer another question, her shell is as hard as a rock. Pictures to follow. Take care all.

Attachments

• Sleepy 020.JPG
    Sleepy 020.JPG
    462.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.