130-gal Closed-Top Tank Progression Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Question regarding the heat ropes. I would assume that they dont get hot enough to start buring the mulch or whatever substrate you use? I have been using almost entirely Sphagnum Moss and get it somewhat damp and using a CHE to warm that part of the enclosure, which will also heat the moss helping raise the humidity. I use a timer on my CHE to help it turn on and off throughout the day which helps keep the warm part of the enclosure in the high 80degree range. Oh, i also have redfoots.

I also figured that if the torts want to cool down, they can burrow into the moss, or go to the cooler side of the enclosure.

Do you also use a thermostat on these ropes?

Thanks for sharing!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I would utilize the overflow area. If it doesnt have cracks or a hole in the bottom that cannot be patched. I would keep it full of water and put a aquarium heater in it to boost the humidity. Looks awesome.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
mightymizz said:
Do you also use a thermostat on these ropes?

Yes I do. The ZooMed RheoStat: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQD0Y/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

tortadise said:
I would utilize the overflow area. If it doesnt have cracks or a hole in the bottom that cannot be patched. I would keep it full of water and put a aquarium heater in it to boost the humidity. Looks awesome.

It does have two holes drilled on the bottom of that overflow box. It has a lot of calcium residue inside that is a PAIN to chip off, which is a major reason I haven't used it (laziness).

With the heat ropes underneath the substrate, everything works well enough, although I have thought about rigging up a humidifier to connect into it. I may not need it though, when I ever get around to building the top to the tank.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
So, with these heat ropes, do they not get hot enough to possibly catch fire to different substrates since they are submerged in them?

I know with my CHE if anything touches that it would most likely be able to burn, or at least smolder things.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
With that rheostat (or any thermostat, I imagine), they stay "warm" at best. I'm not trying to create a basking spot of 100+ degrees or anything; I'm just using them to keep the substrate from getting cold and damp.

Remember that in nature, the ground (and burrows especially) doesn't really fluctuate in temperate day in and day out. For similar discussions, see this thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-New-Research-on-Basking-Lamps-from-TT#axzz22J7O6onU

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Those Big Apple heat ropes are very safe when used with a thermometer. Their probe to measure the temp is embedded right with them. They are also completely waterproof, not just water resistant like some of the others.

Several other Redfoot owners have used them very successfully under substrate, zip tied to a hardware or plastic grid. It is a wonderful way to keep the humidity up.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
What do most people do with any extra length of rope, or just the part that is exposed plugging it into an outlet? Just have a hot cord coming out of the enclosure?

I am really starting to like this heat rope idea as a way to warm up the substrate.

EspenK

5 Year Member
Is the heat rope still used for reptiles in general, and especially for tortoises? The only heat source any animal will ever encounter, is the sun. Most species bury themselves down to cool off. If it is hot in the substrate too, they have no were to go. Also the plastron(in some species) will compensate for the unnatural heat, and build up trying to make sure the intestines do not get injured. For the understanding of the idea( and for those of you who understand german), chech out Wolfgang Wegehaupt "Natürliche Haltung und Zucht der Griechischen Landschildkröte"

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Good points, Espen.

Just FYI, the heat rope doesn't cover the entire bottom of my enclosure. The areas where the hide boxes are do not have any belly, and my babies often go in there to cool off.

EspenK

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
Good points, Espen.

Just FYI, the heat rope doesn't cover the entire bottom of my enclosure. The areas where the hide boxes are do not have any belly, and my babies often go in there to cool off.

Is the heat rope just to amp the temp, or the humidity too? I guess a spot would do much the same? Just scared of damaging the torts :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
EspenK said:
Good points, Espen.

Is the heat rope just to amp the temp, or the humidity too? I guess a spot would do much the same? Just scared of damaging the torts :)

Both. Most hatchling tortoise species spend the first several months of their life in and around the nesting site/burrow. Although the general environment does fluctuate more, this micro-habitat actually does not vary that much. Baby redfoot tortoises do not experience cold, drafty nights in the mid 60s (F), as I and many Americans keep their household at night. I don't want to subject my young tortoises to that, so providing some supplemental belly heat keeps that substrates from getting too cold and/or too damp, because we all know too cold + damp = respiratory issues. Yes, they do have a warm basking area provided by the ceramic heat emitter, but you see how large this enclosure is (36"x42"). The cool side can still get a little too cool for my liking (below 75'F). With these waterproof heat cables, I can periodically add water straight into the substrate. The cables heat the water, keeping the substrate humid in addition to being warm. So even on the coolest side of the enclosure, those little tortoise bellies don't get below 75'F.

That is why I use this method. I actually got the idea from another keeper. It has worked quite well for my animals and I.

Carlos83

5 Year Member
Fontana CA
EspenK said:
Good points, Espen.

Both. Most hatchling tortoise species spend the first several months of their life in and around the nesting site/burrow. Although the general environment does fluctuate more, this micro-habitat actually does not vary that much. Baby redfoot tortoises do not experience cold, drafty nights in the mid 60s (F), as I and many Americans keep their household at night. I don't want to subject my young tortoises to that, so providing some supplemental belly heat keeps that substrates from getting too cold and/or too damp, because we all know too cold + damp = respiratory issues. Yes, they do have a warm basking area provided by the ceramic heat emitter, but you see how large this enclosure is (36"x42"). The cool side can still get a little too cool for my liking (below 75'F). With these waterproof heat cables, I can periodically add water straight into the substrate. The cables heat the water, keeping the substrate humid in addition to being warm. So even on the coolest side of the enclosure, those little tortoise bellies don't get below 75'F.

That is why I use this method. I actually got the idea from another keeper. It has worked quite well for my animals and I.
Im actually do the same thing with my heat ropes works really good for my sulcata enclosure . .Great job on that one man :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.