1 year old Hermann Tortoise

NickNackPaddyWhack

Location (City and/or State)
Crook
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some advice

So I purchased a 1 year old Hermann Tortoise from a local exotic pet shop. Settled in well, correct temperatures day and night, fresh greens, bathed daily, plenty of room and and very active

I had the little guy down the vets as I noticed the odd clear bubble from his nose. It's not a constant thing, no gasping for air, no musus or anything. Nose is dry most of the time when it happens. All it does is a little clear bubble blows then pops straight away. The vets said there's nothing to be concerned about and he's in a healthy condition

Anyone had any similar experiences with this or can anyone think of what it could be or help?

Thank you in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some advice

So I purchased a 1 year old Hermann Tortoise from a local exotic pet shop. Settled in well, correct temperatures day and night, fresh greens, bathed daily, plenty of room and and very active

I had the little guy down the vets as I noticed the odd clear bubble from his nose. It's not a constant thing, no gasping for air, no musus or anything. Nose is dry most of the time when it happens. All it does is a little clear bubble blows then pops straight away. The vets said there's nothing to be concerned about and he's in a healthy condition

Anyone had any similar experiences with this or can anyone think of what it could be or help?

Thank you in advance!
Your temperatures are likely too cool. What are your four temps, and how are you measuring them? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? Is it an open topped tortoise table? What substrate?

This is the start of a respiratory infection. Its to to be ignored. Most vets do not understand tortoise care, and instead refer to erroneous info in reference materials. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school.

This info will help you, and there is a care sheet for your species at the end:

Reactions: Ink

NickNackPaddyWhack

Crook
Your temperatures are likely too cool. What are your four temps, and how are you measuring them? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? Is it an open topped tortoise table? What substrate?

This is the start of a respiratory infection. Its to to be ignored. Most vets do not understand tortoise care, and instead refer to erroneous info in reference materials. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school.

This info will help you, and there is a care sheet for your species at the end:
With it being the Winter months, he's currently in a 3ft vivarium. Warm side and basking area are 33°C, cooler side is 28°C, night temperature is 25°C.

His Airways were clear and were no traces of mucus. He seems like a happy tort, nothing stopping him or affecting he life. As I said its not all the time, just now and then. More noticeable when his face is wet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With it being the Winter months, he's currently in a 3ft vivarium. Warm side and basking area are 33°C, cooler side is 28°C, night temperature is 25°C.

His Airways were clear and were no traces of mucus. He seems like a happy tort, nothing stopping him or affecting he life. As I said its not all the time, just now and then. More noticeable when his face is wet
Basking area directly under the bulb should be around 36C.

What substrate are you using, and is it kept damp?

NickNackPaddyWhack

Crook
Basking area directly under the bulb should be around 36C.

What substrate are you using, and is it kept damp?
I'll turn the day and night temperatures up a tad then

And the substrate is mediterranean Top soil. It's gets a very light spray every couple of days and turned over aswell. Its damp to dry, if that's makes sense

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'll turn the day and night temperatures up a tad then

And the substrate is mediterranean Top soil. It's gets a very light spray every couple of days and turned over aswell. Its damp to dry, if that's makes sense
I think it could also be because his sinus' are connected to his mouth, so bubbles might come out as he is eating. Bubbles might come out because your substrate is too dry and his sinus' are trying to cause a dry nose to moisten the tender membranes...or like Tom said. But I'm betting on just a natural thing...

NickNackPaddyWhack

Crook
I think it could also be because his sinus' are connected to his mouth, so bubbles might come out as he is eating. Bubbles might come out because your substrate is too dry and his sinus' are trying to cause a dry nose to moisten the tender membranes...or like Tom said. But I'm betting on just a natural thing...
I never thought about that actually. What I'll do in the morning, I'll get him in the bath and remove everything. Give the soil a good soak and turn over. Temperature has been turned up, so I'll keep a close eye on him

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The odd time. But it's just one bubble out of one nostril, clear bubble and pops straight away. But it's not every time he breathes
Yeah, I get that...personally...I am not an expert, but I believe it's a normal thing and should be ignored...until it's yellow or green or more ...