YF eggs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Years ago, when I was on the YAHOOgroups listserv, I mentioned that YF tortoises don't dig nests, but lay their eggs on top of the ground. I was really squashed and told in no uncertain terms that yes, they do dig nests.

At that time I had three egg laying females and they all deposited their eggs in a pile in one spot on top of the ground. Now I have two and they still do that.

I was doing my evening chores, and walking through the YF enclosure and I spotted 5 YF eggs on top of the ground in a corner next to the garage and the fence. When I picked them up, they were HOT. They had been sitting in the sun on a 100F degree day for who knows how long. I'm so disgusted! I hope they're not cooked.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ahhhhhh man, that sucks. A good clutch of 5 too. Hope for the best in them hatching. I love Yellowfoots. I haven't hatched any in quite a while though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sending positive thoughts that they are still viable. Selfish because I need a couple of new babies to go with my current beautiful split scute one.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Why do they lay one top of the ground if that can happen? In the wild (they live South America, don't they?) It is even hotter and birds would be able to pick them off without any effort.
I hope they hatch alright :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have no idea. I was told that in the wild they will scrape a slight indentation, lay the eggs, then cover them with dirt and leaf litter. I don't know how true that is, because for the past 8 or 10 years my only experience has been that they lay them on top of the ground. The last time (before this time) I found YF eggs the female had made an attempt at digging a hole, but it was only an inch or so deep, so most of the eggs were right out in the open, however, this time it was under a partial roof, so they were in the shade.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I'm sorry to hear about about the hot eggs... my YFs have always dug a nest. I'd say about 5in down, or so. Mine nest in cypress mulch. I usually put leaf litter down in their enclosure in the fall. They love it!!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I never know that YF will do that. I can just wish the best of those eggs!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hoping the best for the eggs. Specially, we don't see many YF.
Do you have leaf litter or cypress mulch for them to lay in or just dirt? Wondering if they don't dig because it's dirt and they need or want something that needs less effort, like leafs or mulch? If you don't normally have that for them, you should give them some and see if that changes things. Would be interesting to find out.
Btw, want us to take care of those people that squashed you? We can you know :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They are outside, and there's plenty of garden trash all over the ground - dead leaves, loose grass, top soil, etc.

And, Barb...thanks for the offer, but those people aren't worth the effort.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can always ship them babies my way! I love the yellows!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with Kelly about how underrated Yellows are. Glad to know they are still looking good. Guess I need to start saving pennies, so I might have enough to get a hatchling or two.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
[QUOTEe, post: 946049, member: 19710"]Yes indeed. I actually received another yellowfoot egg this morning. Hope they chalk up and look good like Yvonne's though.[/QUOTE]
lol yeah those little beasts lol. You gotta watch the little ones. They'll try to bite ya!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I have no idea. I was told that in the wild they will scrape a slight indentation, lay the eggs, then cover them with dirt and leaf litter. I don't know how true that is, because for the past 8 or 10 years my only experience has been that they lay them on top of the ground. The last time (before this time) I found YF eggs the female had made an attempt at digging a hole, but it was only an inch or so deep, so most of the eggs were right out in the open, however, this time it was under a partial roof, so they were in the shade.
This is something I learned during a tour at Emíluo Goeldi Museum, in my hometown (Belém, Brazil): In their natural territory, the forrest canopy is too dense for sunlight to get thru and warm the eggs. So the YF tortoise will lay her eggs on the topsoil and cover it with forrest debris (leaves, twigs, etc). The soil temp in the forrest is too cool for the eggs to hatch. Their nesting style is also much like that of crocodiles.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This is something I learned during a tour at Emíluo Goeldi Museum, in my hometown (Belém, Brazil): In their natural territory, the forrest canopy is too dense for sunlight to get thru and warm the eggs. So the YF tortoise will lay her eggs on the topsoil and cover it with forrest debris (leaves, twigs, etc). The soil temp in the forrest is too cool for the eggs to hatch. Their nesting style is also much like that of crocodiles.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Makes great sense.