Worried about sand...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Ok, we we sure we were doing the right thing, and spent over $1500 to do it, but now I'm worried.
I live in Louisiana where we get TONS of rain in light hurricane season, and weeks of DELUGES during a busy hurricane season. Our back yard does not drain well for a variety of reasons, which I will not bore you with here. My Hermann's tortoise, Elsa, lives in a large (18 x20) outdoor enclosure walled by cinderblock. When we get heavy, intense downpours, parts of her enclosure can get over 4 inches deep and stay that way for several hours. The higher parts of her enclosure don't get underwater at all, but if she's in the low end when the rain starts really dumping, she seems to panic and can't find her way to the high end.

We have a sump pump in the back yard that pumps water out to the front ditch, which worked fine for a few years but the pump failed last year. We decided to replace the pump and have a French drain put in Elsa's enclosure. Therein lies the problem. They told me a French drain is a perforated pipe buried underground, covered with some sort of protective drain cloth, then the trench is "covered up." I ASSUMED they would just cover it back with the dirt they dug out to make the trench, but they covered it with gravel and topped it with sand. I didn't know this until we came home and it was all done.

The sand-covered pipe runs the entire inside perimeter of Elsa's enclosure, and that's EXACTLY where she walks so much of the time. I often see her with sand on her legs and sometimes on her face, and that's what worries me, although I always feed her on her terra-cotta saucer which is several feet away from the sand. I am considering laying down some pine straw mulch all around the perimeter to keep her off the sand, and hoping that won't interfere with the drain.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Photos to follow.

IMG_7912.JPG

fullsizeoutput_7ea.jpeg

IMG_7917.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd dig the sand out and replace it with dirt. The potential for harm is too great for me to take that risk. I would even go so far as to shop vac the area around the sand to try and remove as much as I could.

Or, just move the enclosure somewhere else.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That's actually the proper way to do a French drain.

When I do them i leave the sand about 4" or so lower than your ground so I have room to put soil and grass back down.

Who the heck wants a line of sand showing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was going to say call the people up that did it and ask them if you can put dirt or grass over the sand.
However, tortdad's post clarifies that you can

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I called the people who put in the drain, and they are happy to put sod over the sand at no extra cost!!! :)
In the meantime, Elsa can live in her night house- it's entirely open to the sunlight, just has walls and roof made of 1/2 inch "hardware cloth." That enclosure is only 8 x 10, so it's not as spacious as her full enclosure, but she'll be safe from the sand until it's all fixed.

IMG_7919.JPG

DancesWithDinosaurs

USA
Ok, we we sure we were doing the right thing, and spent over $1500 to do it, but now I'm worried.
I live in Louisiana where we get TONS of rain in light hurricane season, and weeks of DELUGES during a busy hurricane season. Our back yard does not drain well for a variety of reasons, which I will not bore you with here. My Hermann's tortoise, Elsa, lives in a large (18 x20) outdoor enclosure walled by cinderblock. When we get heavy, intense downpours, parts of her enclosure can get over 4 inches deep and stay that way for several hours. The higher parts of her enclosure don't get underwater at all, but if she's in the low end when the rain starts really dumping, she seems to panic and can't find her way to the high end.

We have a sump pump in the back yard that pumps water out to the front ditch, which worked fine for a few years but the pump failed last year. We decided to replace the pump and have a French drain put in Elsa's enclosure. Therein lies the problem. They told me a French drain is a perforated pipe buried underground, covered with some sort of protective drain cloth, then the trench is "covered up." I ASSUMED they would just cover it back with the dirt they dug out to make the trench, but they covered it with gravel and topped it with sand. I didn't know this until we came home and it was all done.

The sand-covered pipe runs the entire inside perimeter of Elsa's enclosure, and that's EXACTLY where she walks so much of the time. I often see her with sand on her legs and sometimes on her face, and that's what worries me, although I always feed her on her terra-cotta saucer which is several feet away from the sand. I am considering laying down some pine straw mulch all around the perimeter to keep her off the sand, and hoping that won't interfere with the drain.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Photos to follow.

View attachment 218295

View attachment 218296

View attachment 218298
What a nice torti mom! Glad it worked out, so I'll save my two cents. I do have an idea about your block's. Put soil in the holes and plant herbs. Great way to improve the look, while benefiting from edible herbs for human's and creatures:). Flowers can go in there too. Just dbl check which are safest! Best to all tortoise and turtle warriors!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I called the people who put in the drain, and they are happy to put sod over the sand at no extra cost!!! :)
In the meantime, Elsa can live in her night house- it's entirely open to the sunlight, just has walls and roof made of 1/2 inch "hardware cloth." That enclosure is only 8 x 10, so it's not as spacious as her full enclosure, but she'll be safe from the sand until it's all fixed.

I didn't see this post on Friday.

Sod is grown with plastic netting inside to hold it together, and its grown with all sorts of chemicals to keep the bugs and weeds out of it. I would not let a tortoise have access to it for a couple of years at least. After that amount of time and weather, the chemicals should have dissipated, and then you just have to watch for erosion and that netting becoming exposed.

Better to put down soil and grow your own grass or some Testudo mix in that spot.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Hi Mooz!
Wow, you did some nice work for Elsa.
I have a French drain on the property I work at in Palm Beach. We put Zoysia sod over it 26 years ago and it still functions just fine. The idea of a French drain is simple...you provide a porous escape for rain runoff. Sod has very little effect on it.
Oddly, where we live the ground is all sand. So even during a hurricane we get almost zero flooding as the rain simply percolates down through the sand in an instant. After Hurricane Irma past we had dry 'hot spots' in our lawn after only two days.
I do agree with Tom too...the sand on Elsa's face (and presumably food) is not worth the risk of impaction. But you have an easy fix as has been mentioned about...i.e. put the cinder blocks over the French drain, put sod over, it or mulch it.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I didn't see this post on Friday.

Sod is grown with plastic netting inside to hold it together, and its grown with all sorts of chemicals to keep the bugs and weeds out of it. I would not let a tortoise have access to it for a couple of years at least. After that amount of time and weather, the chemicals should have dissipated, and then you just have to watch for erosion and that netting becoming exposed.

Better to put down soil and grow your own grass or some Testudo mix in that spot.
Dang it. I wish you had seen this earlier too. The sod got done this week.
Hmmmmm....pondering the next step.

Jmoney1002

Sebring, FL
The sand is there to allow water to drain into the perforated pipe under the ground. If you replace the sand with dirt, the water will not drain into the pipe and your flooding problem will continue. Sod over the sand may impede water from entering the pipe also. Additionally, over time if roots make their way down into the pipe it will clog up that drain underground. My suggestion would be to put river rock or other similarly sized stones over the sand. This will allow for drainage but protect your tort from the sand.