Will my sulcata grow?

Weeble257

I have a 4 year old sulcata I got from someone who no longer wanted her. When I got her, her carapace was only about 6 inches and she didn't even weigh a pound. From what the previous owner told me she only fed her iceburg lettuce. What a shame! I'm amazed that the poor thing lived for 4 years. With all the info on the internet she should have been able to look up what a proper diet was. I have had her now for about 6 months and have weaned her off of iceburg, she is now eating a healthy diet. I'm hoping the poor diet didn't stunt her growth. She has gained a little, but not much - at least she is over a pound now.

My question is: does anyone know if her growth be stunted because of the improper diet? She should be almost adult size at 4 years but is so tiny. Will she actually grow to be a normal size sulcata?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely yes, she will grow. Would she be bigger now with a proper diet, probably. Will she grow to a normal adult size, that's hard to say, but most likely to a good size. I would add some Mazuri tortoise diet into the food routine a couple 2-3 times a week.

Weeble257

Thanks. I know it is difficult to predict what her growth will be. I just also hope this does not shorten her life span. I was really shocked when the previous owner told me that all she eats is iceberg. At least she had her under UV.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Some say mazuri does help growth. I use it 3 times a week for my 9 mth sulcata & she weighed in at 550 g today! 1.2 lbs! Glad this one found you.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I just glad that poor little thing are with you now. I believe it is matter of time.

Giving time, your Sulcata one day will be as normal as s/he can be.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Barb (Wellington) summed it up nicely. I have seen cases like this before. With a better diet and all around better care the tortoise will begin to thrive. It will grow, yes, but it will also become more active and be less stressed and it's personality will be allowed to develop. Only time will tell how long this take or how far it goes.