Rescue Still Small

OzzyGirl1980

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
As you know, I rescued a 4 year old female Sulcata around Halloween time last year. She was very underfed and raised very dry. She had pneumonia and a small bladder stone. We have nursed her back to health, however she is not having any huge jump in growth. After 6 months she's only gained about 3/4ths of a lb. She is very active. She has heat and UVA/UVB. Drinks water and soaks regularly. Fed greens, hay, Mazuri and the occasional fruit. She has healthy stools and regular urates. However at 4.5/5 years old she's only 4 lb, 10 inches. Should I Make some additional changes? Could she be permanently stunted? Anyone have a similar rescue story?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I rescued a leopard that was suppose to be the same age as my leopard at that time. However the rescue was half the size. With rehab, better diet, and proper space, he finally caught up in size. It did take about a year or so to finally show growth and once he started, he continued and is now the same size as my leopard if not bigger. Try feeding some Mazuri tortoise food. That helps with putting size on I found.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
You're doing good, the slow growth is caused by her previous owners. The longer you continue to give her the care she needs and deserves, her growth will increase but it could take awhile. Mazuri will help like @wellington said, give her some zoomed grassland pellets too, they're loaded with vital nutrients.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . and because of the stone, make sure to keep her hydrated. It's a good idea to spritz water over each food serving.