Why does my tortoise sneeze when eating

AlexL

A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure, and read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as the are sheet.
He he does again tomorrow I'll show you some pictures but I hope it's been sorted by changing the substrate

AlexL

And then there's a built in hide on the left with a water bowl inside

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't breathe through their mouths, consequently, when their nares get plugged they just don't breathe. Eventually, when they need oxygen, they open their mouth and gasp (looks like a yawn). Your tortoise, like has been said above, is probably trying to clear his nares.

AlexL

Tortoises don't breathe through their mouths, consequently, when their nares get plugged they just don't breathe. Eventually, when they need oxygen, they open their mouth and gasp (looks like a yawn). Your tortoise, like has been said above, is probably trying to clear his nares.
Could that have been the calci sand that I had been using?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Might as well it now, here you go:)
That looks like orchid bark or similar, is it mixed with the sand?
Could that have been the calci sand that I had been using?
Can't say for sure but sand isn't great for torts because of the risk of impaction in the gut and irritation to eyes etc - many experienced members here have seen the problems it cause, and others say its fine - but I personally wouldn't risk it.
No good wishing you'd done things differently when they are sick so best to avoid.
Try without the sand and see if things improve.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Calci-sand is trash, it's actually more dangerous than normal play sand. Regardless of whether it makes him sneeze or not he'll be better off with it removed, so good call there.

Most people use bark, mulch, coir or soil with few issues.

I feed on slate tiles to TRY to keep them from eating the mulch, but sometimes they push everything off and eat dirt anyway. Silly Torts.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Next time he starts sneezing stare really close and see if he's got food in his nose.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Before the mention of the sand, I thought maybe it was the pepper!