Do Russian Tortoises Sneeze?

HuyckB04

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I usually let Morty wander around the room a bit to dry off after his soak. He seems to really like it and becomes very active, exploring every part of the room. Today, he stopped in mid-stride and pulled his head all the way inside his shell. Then he came back out and appeared to sneeze! Is this normal for a Russian tortoise, or should I be concerned?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I believe that your tortoise was scared, and quickly exhaled to make room for his head and limbs. My tortoise will do it if I suddenly pick him up. Has your tortoise done it before?

HuyckB04

Iowa
I believe that your tortoise was scared, and quickly exhaled to make room for his head and limbs. My tortoise will do it if I suddenly pick him up. Has your tortoise done it before?

I've seen him dart back into his shell if I make sudden move, but he was just hanging out in the middle of the room when it happened. This didn't look (or sound) like his frightened recoil. It looked like a gentle tortoise sneeze.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Might be too dry substrate??

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have never heard mine sneeze, but it's really adorable to watch a turtle sneeze, it's such a delicate little sound!:p
It sounds like he was just scared. Tortoises (and turtles) will draw their head and legs quickly inside the shell, and to do so, they expel the air from their lungs, making a 'sneezey' sound that could be describes as hissing.