Why does my leopard sleep so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nematoad1998

5 Year Member
On Tuesday, August 9th, i received a yearling female leopard tortoise. When i put her in her enclosure (I will add pictures below) she seems to do nothing but go straight to her box and sleep. Occasionally, she will take a few bites of food if i set her in front of it. When i take her outside, she grazes and is very active. Is it normal for her to sleep that much since i just got her or is there something wrong with the enclosure? Temps are usually around 80 on cool side, around 90 on hot side by the way.

Pics:
IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0764-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is probably not the answer to your question, but I don't like that the bright light is all over the whole habitat. If I lived in there, I would stay in the shade too.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if she is happier outside.. can you build something outside for her to live in?
Maybe use a soil type substrate. some plants, even if fake, more humidity, and Spring mix salad for food.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
You need a propper light, many threads & opinions on which kind. Are you spraying your substrate it looks very dry. Are you soaking your yearling in warm water? What kind of enclosure do you have your yearling in? I cannot wait to see pics of your baby Leo:)

nematoad1998

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
You need a propper light, many threads & opinions on which kind. Are you spraying your substrate it looks very dry. Are you soaking your yearling in warm water? What kind of enclosure do you have your yearling in? I cannot wait to see pics of your baby Leo:)

The light i have is one that was recommended. I cant remember which one exactly. Is it possible that she has jet lag or something like that? No i dont spray the substrate i will try that. Yes i soak her often. Thanks for replying :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What was the recommended distance between the light bulb and the substrate? It's been awhile since I used one of those types of bulbs, but that seems a little low...I'm guessing 8 inches? If I remember correctly they should be about 12. You might want to add some edible plants in there, like succulents. Your tortoise might be more interested in venturing out if it can look for food.

Status
Not open for further replies.