quick question about new leopard baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I got my new little leopard tort on 3/6/12 and she has been doing great but i just have a few questions. I am soaking her once daily in the morning...is that enough? her humidity is 60-70 on the hot side and always 90 or above on the cool side. Also is it possible to over feed her, every time she wakes up she eats, i have fed her twice already today and it is only 3pm.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Thats enough you are keeping it nice and hydrated.
& its hard to say if your over feeding a baby, just leave a pile of food out daily about the size of your tortoise if its a big eater leave twice that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What are your temps on the cool side where you see the humidity at 90?

The daily soaking is good :D

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
My temps never get below 80...they are usually 85 during the day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I learned on here to feed babies all they want. Most likely she will go through periods where she will eat less and then she will eat more and so on. At least that is what mine does and he is a year old and still does it. I just always have food available.:D

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I havent seen her go over to her cool side yet, she hangs out on the warm side or in her hind on the warm side. She has been a little piglet today eating all day long

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
jesst said:
I havent seen her go over to her cool side yet, she hangs out on the warm side or in her hind on the warm side. She has been a little piglet today eating all day long

Mine does not stay on the cool side very much at all, even at a year old. Never has much. Goes there to eat, once in a while will soak himself, then back to the noted side.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
wellington said:
jesst said:

Mine does not stay on the cool side very much at all, even at a year old. Never has much. Goes there to eat, once in a while will soak himself, then back to the noted side.

Thank you that makes me feel much better. Im crazy and have been watching her like a hawk :D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
jesst said:
wellington said:
jesst said:

Thank you that makes me feel much better. Im crazy and have been watching her like a hawk :D

Oh No! Watching like a Hawk is what we do! Look for the suttle changes the hearld illness and hardship... and correcting those changes for the best health possable...

Welcome to OUR Maddness! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
I learned on here to feed babies all they want. Most likely she will go through periods where she will eat less and then she will eat more and so on. At least that is what mine does and he is a year old and still does it. I just always have food available.:D

I agree wholeheartedly with this, IF IF IF the tortoise is in the right conditions. It sounds like yours is.

Also make sure that you are supplementing with enough calcium and lots of sunshine, to ensure healthy growth and calcium deposition.

It is my opinion that the "overfeeding" scare came from the same place as the "protein is bad" scare. The problem was that no one could grow a smooth leopard or sulcata for many years (at least not from a hatchling) and the ones that grew slower seemed to pyramid less. Now that we know how to grow them smooth and what causes pyramiding, those myths can be tossed in the garbage where they belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.