White wart looking bump

Tandrews

Location (City and/or State)
Sioux Falls, SD
This is my sons tortoise and he just noticed a small white lesion growing on the side of his tortoise’s neck. He lives indoors as we live in SD so too cold outside. Any ideas what this could be? He’s only 3 years old. I tried looking at other posts but don’t see anything quite like this.

Attachments

• IMG_3802.png
    IMG_3802.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3801.jpeg
    IMG_3801.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure what it is. Does it look like there is anything in it? Any dark specks on it?
I would just keep an eye on it and see if it changes. Try to take a note of its size so you can see if it gets bigger or smaller.
If you want you can put some antibiotic cream on it. Just human otc stuff.

Tandrews

Sioux Falls, SD
Not sure what it is. Does it look like there is anything in it? Any dark specks on it?
I would just keep an eye on it and see if it changes. Try to take a note of its size so you can see if it gets bigger or smaller.
Thank you so much for the reply. We went ahead and put some bacitracin on it. It doesn’t really look like there’s anything in it. Just looks like a skin tag almost.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We are interested in finding out what it is, so please keep us updated on any changes you observe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a fluid-filled blister to me. I doubt if it is anything to worry about.

On a different note, your russian is full grown, and much older than three years. Unless you got it from the breeder who actually knows the hatch date your russian is wild caught and at least 10 years old.

Tandrews

Sioux Falls, SD
Looks like a fluid-filled blister to me. I doubt if it is anything to worry about.

On a different note, your russian is full grown, and much older than three years. Unless you got it from the breeder who actually knows the hatch date your russian is wild caught and at least 10 years old.
Interesting… we’ve only had him for 2.5 years from Pet Smart and he was just a little guy when we got him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting… we’ve only had him for 2.5 years from Pet Smart and he was just a little guy when we got him.
I'd have to agree with Yvonne. It does look full grown. My guess is the bad care he got before you got him, stunted/slowed his growth and that's why he was still so small. PetSmart gets their animals from warehouses and the tortoises are usually wild caught. Unless someone surrendered their own to the store.
A full grown Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure inside, hopefully bigger outside.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Could it be a microchip that has worked its way to the surface ?
It doesn't look the right shape for the microchips I have used in the past. They were more like a long grain of rice than an ovoid shape. Also the neck would be a very unusual spot to place a microchip, at least here in the US. Not sure about EU countries, though.