Bump on neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSulcataMom

5 Year Member
Ok, just got this baby female sulcata a few days ago. I noticed a small white "bump" on her neck instantly and breeder told me it was a calcium deposit. In the time I've had her its gotten slightly larger. Wondering if anyone else believes calcium deposit or if its something more to be concerned about. ImageUploadedByTortForum1376661191.424628.jpg

Tabby

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hello, I took a moment to read your other two threads...I became concerned after seeing your pic here....calcium deposit? I am not convinced immediately that is what that is...even if it is, a calcium deposit is usually as a result of a deficiency in calcium intake...also can produce itself at an old injury site....so either way, not a good thing.

Do you soak this tortoise in warm water soaks and for how long? How often does the tort open its eyes? Your basking spot should be 100-110 for this species,,,,also, you say the tort is a secret for your daughter---where are you keeping this tort until then and in what? So the reveal is in the next day or two?

I see a tort here that has a lethargic appearance with eyes that are a bit sunken in and am worried he has been dehydrated for awhile...with as little info as the "breeder" gave you I would be concerned for the way the tort was handled from the start....

You will also want to make sure that if you keep that high humidity that you also do not let the night temps ever drop below 80 degrees and that you use what ever heating element you need to achieve that ---black night light, ceramic heat emitter....

Please don't be offended by anything I am saying here....I know you just acquired the tort...but I have a gut feeling that you will need to put the nurse cap on and have been put in a spot to try to get this baby healthy...

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I wish I could help!! I am sure someone that can give you an answer will reply soon. She is very pretty!! :)

I looked at her pic again and I agree her eyes do look sunken in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I've had turtles and tortoises for over 30 years, and I'm not saying I've seen it all, however, I've never heard of a calcium deposit on the skin, nor seen a bump like that. So I did a GOOGLE image search for "calcium deposit on skin" and lo, and behold! Yes, there really is such a thing.

I'd take the turtle to the vet. It's not normal, and reading the article on GOOGLE, it might cause functional disturbances (?) and could end up being fatal. Better to be safe than sorry. Go to the vet.

NewSulcataMom

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Hello, I took a moment to read your other two threads...I became concerned after seeing your pic here....calcium deposit? I am not convinced immediately that is what that is...even if it is, a calcium deposit is usually as a result of a deficiency in calcium intake...also can produce itself at an old injury site....so either way, not a good thing.

Do you soak this tortoise in warm water soaks and for how long? How often does the tort open its eyes? Your basking spot should be 100-110 for this species,,,,also, you say the tort is a secret for your daughter---where are you keeping this tort until then and in what? So the reveal is in the next day or two?

I see a tort here that has a lethargic appearance with eyes that are a bit sunken in and am worried he has been dehydrated for awhile...with as little info as the "breeder" gave you I would be concerned for the way the tort was handled from the start....

You will also want to make sure that if you keep that high humidity that you also do not let the night temps ever drop below 80 degrees and that you use what ever heating element you need to achieve that ---black night light, ceramic heat emitter....

Please don't be offended by anything I am saying here....I know you just acquired the tort...but I have a gut feeling that you will need to put the nurse cap on and have been put in a spot to try to get this baby healthy...

No offense taken at all. She seemed lethargic when I first saw her, she was with a brother who was moving about as she sat there with her eyes closed. The breeder told me to use hay as substrate, which i found to be wrong before getting supplies, so yes, i fully agree that she may not have been in the best environment previously. I have a soft spot for any sick animal and have rehabbed many wild and domestic. I use to work for a vet, but needless to say, we didnt ever see any tortoises.
She does soak twice a day for 20 minutes. Currently soaking in a baby carrot food/ water combo since I read that can help a lot.
Someone commented on another post mentioning humidity requires 80+ degrees. So I just arrived back home from purchasing a night time heat lamp.
She's currently in a 10 gal tank in my bedroom, but yes, as soon as the weekend passes she'll no longer be a secret and moved to a bigger habitat. I've been researching best options for that and am so far leaning towards a sweater box type or a modified bookcase (which I jus so happen to have one which was soon to be discarded)
When she's in her habitat or soaking she seems to mostly sleep, she opens her eyes and will move about when I have her with me or outside everyday. But still very concerning for me. I don't notice her eat, but she's pooping... So that's a slight concern as well.

Tabby

samsmom said:
is that a tiny little hole in the top of the bump?

Unable to tell if its an actual hole. I know it not dirt, but appears to come to a point, not sink in like a hole would.

Tabby

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376671853.918469.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376671891.581858.jpg

So after carrot/water soak she perked up nicely, and some time outside really spunked her up :) hopefully a few more days of the special soaks, with regular soaks, and more accurate humidity will help some. Gonna find an exotic vet to check out the bumb. But I feel very overwhelmed with joy that I actually witnessed her eat a little just a few minutes ago :)

Tabby

Last edited by a moderator:

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
On the bump are there 2 holes in it or one ?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

If there is s hole it could be oc a bot fly.
U have to put Vaseline on it so that the larves inside the hole try to come out to breathe and then with tweezers you remove them.
Go to youtube and wrtite in botfly removing...
there can be a couple of larves is inside the hole. we just had a recent threat about it on a box turtle, so far they removed 7 Larves...and still going but put the vaseline on and you will see if after while if something comes out or not

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yup that could be the botfly...act fast so that u get rid of it right away...best is put vaseline on it and cover it little bit up ...wait and check...for the larve to come up

NewSulcataMom

5 Year Member
I actually did that last night and saw nothing. This bump is hard though. Which I would guess a botfly to be a bit squishy like an abscess.

Tabby

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
NewSulcataMom said:
ascott said:

No offense taken at all. She seemed lethargic when I first saw her, she was with a brother who was moving about as she sat there with her eyes closed. The breeder told me to use hay as substrate, which i found to be wrong before getting supplies, so yes, i fully agree that she may not have been in the best environment previously. I have a soft spot for any sick animal and have rehabbed many wild and domestic. I use to work for a vet, but needless to say, we didnt ever see any tortoises.
She does soak twice a day for 20 minutes. Currently soaking in a baby carrot food/ water combo since I read that can help a lot.
Someone commented on another post mentioning humidity requires 80+ degrees. So I just arrived back home from purchasing a night time heat lamp.
She's currently in a 10 gal tank in my bedroom, but yes, as soon as the weekend passes she'll no longer be a secret and moved to a bigger habitat. I've been researching best options for that and am so far leaning towards a sweater box type or a modified bookcase (which I jus so happen to have one which was soon to be discarded)
When she's in her habitat or soaking she seems to mostly sleep, she opens her eyes and will move about when I have her with me or outside everyday. But still very concerning for me. I don't notice her eat, but she's pooping... So that's a slight concern as well.

Tabby

samsmom said:
is that a tiny little hole in the top of the bump?

Unable to tell if its an actual hole. I know it not dirt, but appears to come to a point, not sink in like a hole would.

Tabby

So after carrot/water soak she perked up nicely, and some time outside really spunked her up :) hopefully a few more days of the special soaks, with regular soaks, and more accurate humidity will help some. Gonna find an exotic vet to check out the bumb. But I feel very overwhelmed with joy that I actually witnessed her eat a little just a few minutes ago :)

Tabby

hey check this out http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-77330.html
they have the same issue.. just a bigger bump.
do that what I told you to- then you will see if something is in there,
good luck and keep us posted

hmm intressting...
did you try rubbing alcohol ( mix it with water little bit ) so that its not so strong.
if there is something in it - they will hate that and want to get out.
also- maybe they are to small yet- ( the larves are to small ) need to grow first...
hmmmm I hope someone here can tell us whats going on

can you take another picture of the bump so that we can see the hole better

also get like those Nopal cactus... cut it up super tiny... there is a lot of calcium in there

NewSulcataMom

5 Year Member
I checked out the other thread. Seen mentioned there the Vaseline may take 24hr. So maybe ill try that route again and give more time to see if anything pops out. If still nothing ill try the other suggestion. Thanks so much!!

Tabby

Ill take another first thing tomorrow.

Tabby

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
NewSulcataMom said:
I checked out the other thread. Seen mentioned there the Vaseline may take 24hr. So maybe ill try that route again and give more time to see if anything pops out. If still nothing ill try the other suggestion. Thanks so much!!

Tabby

LOL yes that is true ! I told them that- I forgot .... yes do it again and wait 24 h
i'm an idiot...
sorry I forgot

also here that helps
its really Gross
but it will help you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcuyYhCTDMo

NewSulcataMom

5 Year Member
Definitely gross! But sure I can be comfortable with it. Thanks so much. Hopefully good news will follow shortly. :)

Tabby

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
NewSulcataMom said:
Definitely gross! But sure I can be comfortable with it. Thanks so much. Hopefully good news will follow shortly. :)

Tabby

Im sure he / she will be fine- also try the nopal cactus for the calcium... tiny pieces :)
and let us know what happens

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Ah..That video just scared me for life. Those things get bigger than i thought. Yikes...If thats what it is get them all out asap. Please. Poor Baby. Goodluck

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Gross! Now I wish I didn't watch that video...... Or the other three on YouTube about the same thing :/ I just couldn't stop!!!! Eewwwww!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
yup its gross in a small hole like that can be easy a few of this nasty little buggers.
one poor box turtle ( just now since yesterday ) I advised them as well
got 7 larves out so far...
poor little torts- and they cant say anything

I know the video is super gross- but it can happen to anyone ..
horrible what's out there- and what we are not familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.