what wood is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Floresville TX
Hi well ill start off saying my boyfriend left me today so im on my own building my torts house. ( female 5 1/2 year old red footed tort)
So saying this I would like pics of enclosures maybe some instructions FOR SURE TYPES OF WOOD THATS BEST & BEST TO WORK WITH.

I would like the easiest best wood I don't have a lot of cash but would like to get started at least.

thanks so much!!!

I do want to do a box hide inside. how would I make it humid enough?

ive only had my tort for about a week. new tort owner :shy:

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
wellington said:
Sorry about the boyfriend, unless your happy about it, then good ridden s:D Plywood can be used. Then either line it with some kind of plastic or paint/stain with water proof. Check out some ideas from this thread http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forum-7.html

LOL thank you!
This time I'm happy about it. He lived with me but was gone more then here and didnt help out with bills so yeah lol

Thank you I'm going to check it out now :)
I may end up having my kids dad make one hes a carpenter hes got mad skills ;)

kjr153

5 Year Member
Wellington, your post always make me smile. You're straight and to the point and you really don't give a rats *** what anyone thinks :) Jessica, sorry to hear about your boyfriend. Build that table by yourself! Girl power :)

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
kjr153 said:
Wellington, your post always make me smile. You're straight and to the point and you really don't give a rats *** what anyone thinks :) Jessica, sorry to hear about your boyfriend. Build that table by yourself! Girl power :)

:) lol thanks I'm going to give it a shot

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Jessicapinkie1 said:
GBtortoises said:
For indoor or outdoor use?

Indoor :)
Anything will work indoors. Plywood or pine boards painted with a good quality alkyd enamel latex paint will last for years and hold up to regular cleanings. I have used plywood enclosures for over 20 years now and they've needed to be repainted once in that time. There is no need to use liners of any kind unless the interior of the enclosure is going to house a tropical species where the humidity is very high consistently. Any other species that is just going to be sprayed often or even have a semi-moist substrate painted enclosures will hold up well to.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
GBtortoises said:
Jessicapinkie1 said:
GBtortoises said:
For indoor or outdoor use?

Indoor :)
Anything will work indoors. Plywood or pine boards painted with a good quality alkyd enamel latex paint will last for years and hold up to regular cleanings. I have used plywood enclosures for over 20 years now and they've needed to be repainted once in that time. There is no need to use liners of any kind unless the interior of the enclosure is going to house a tropical species where the humidity is very high consistently. Any other species that is just going to be sprayed often or even have a semi-moist substrate painted enclosures will hold up well to.

Very cool :)
I'm very excited. My dad said he will start picking stuff up for me when they see wood to use. They live in the town over :)
I like the paint idea better than a tarp but whatever works!
Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.