What tortoise without humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J REED

5 Year Member
Is there any tort that can be raised on a normal open top tort table without being closed with high humidity?

Jeremy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So there is no confusion, the closed chamber is for sulcatas and leopards. It can benefit Redfoots too, however, they are more prone to shell rot if kept on wet substrate. Russians don't need as high of a humidity. However, they all do benefit with some humidity. The Russian adults, around 4o% hatchlings, more like 60%. I think the hermanns and Greeks fall into the Russian humidity area too, but not positive on that one.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Greeks,Russians,Hermanns,Egyptians.Only young baby's need a slightly higher humidity the first few years other wise not so much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: What tortoise without humidity?

james1974 said:
Greeks,Russians,Hermanns,Egyptians.Only young baby's need a slightly higher humidity the first few years other wise not so much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Thats the same as a leo or sully

Jeremy

WillTortoise said:
Do you mean raised from hatchling or kept as an adult?

Either or

Jeremy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
jaizei said:
All of them.

What? Sorry, that kind of answer can really lead people to the wrong conclusion and to a lot of unhealthy, pyramided torts.
They all need humidity. They don't all have to be in a closed table or chamber. However, it all does depend on how your able to get the humidity where it needs to be for the particular species and where you live and house your tort plays a role too.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I guess the answer to the question could be better answered with more information. Would the said tort be a hatchling, or a adult?

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: What tortoise without humidity?

mainey34 said:
I guess the answer to the question could be better answered with more information. Would the said tort be a hatchling, or a adult?

Not sure.My sully will eventually be outside and was thinking of a greek since they stay small enough to stay inside, he will spend time outside of course to get some sun but live indoors...

Jeremy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Testudo genus and CA DTs can all do fine in an open table if they have a humid hide and good hydration, in my experience. I'd still rather start a baby with higher than average ambient room humidity.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That is a very loaded question really. All tortoises from all over the world found in their natural territories have seasons. Kinda like here in the US. But depending on which species it is, they all go through dry, and wet seasons. The naturally arid and very dry found species are going to be Egyptians, Tents, 3 species of Padlopers, Bolsens, California Desert tortoises, and that is really about it. Almost all the other ones get medium to heavy wet seasons then dry seasons. Naturally the offspring found in the extreme wet to sub tropic to dry seasons hatch during the wet seasons. The exception would be the Chaco from a very arid environment in South America. However found in outskirts of evergreen tropical rain forests they are still exposed to some medium to heavy humidity seasonally. Almost all species go through the beginning life stages at some sort of spring or wet season. So in captivity humidity tends to grow the shell more like it were in wild conditions. Even the California Desert tortoises hatch in the wild during the rainy season. Now it may not be much of a rainy season, like flood gates. But none the less it still is a wet season. Same goes for Radiated, and Ploughsahres. They are found in very arid environments but still have a wet season.

You can control an open top enclosure for hatchlings with different methods to sustain humidity. Hydration is really the key element in the tortoises beginning stages of life. Most find a closed chamber to be best for Sulcatas or Leopards. But like egyptians this would render health issues. So spraying the enclosure a few times in the morning and again in the afternoon will upkeep that species higher humidity(or wet season, as artificially simulated in captivity as possible) levels that would be present during the hatch lings beginning of life. Same goes for European species of testudo. Your Mediterranean species are going to have a more medium level of humidity being found on the coast. However most of those species hibernate or brumate during the wet season, and begin to emerge from that sleep at the tail end of the wet season.

Enough blabbing from me. But it really benefits a lot of species but in short to sometimes long term.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
The Testudo genus and CA DTs can all do fine in an open table if they have a humid hide and good hydration, in my experience. I'd still rather start a baby with higher than average ambient room humidity.

2nd this excellent advice...a good humid hide, daily soaks (of at least 20 minutes) and reasonable overall humidity (put one water dish near the basking lamp, the other on the cooler end) is key, particularily for very young torts.

Also, a sheet of glass or Plexi-glas over the warm end will help retain humidity, but be sure your enclosure has been water-proofed, to avoid mold/mildew.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
J REED said:
Is there any tort that can be raised on a normal open top tort table without being closed with high humidity?

Jeremy

Yes, any non-tropical species (Redfoot, Yellowfoot, etc...) can be raised without high humidity. But most species, especially while still in the growth stages, will benefit from moderate humidity overall or higher humdiity areas within the enclosure. Providing adequate (but not excessive) levels of humidity requires constant control by means of monitoring and adjusting ambient air humidity, substrate moisture level and providing easy access to clean drinking water within an enclosure. No species should be kept in conditions of extremely high humidity on a constant basis without adequate air exchange and the ability to completely dry off.

the567spud

5 Year Member
Greeks don't require high humidity!ImageUploadedByTortForum1374280510.400476.jpg

They are the best.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1374280490.199245.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1374280490.199245.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:

J REED

5 Year Member
Thats my next tort..Know any breeders on here?

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.